Is there "somethink" we can do about this?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I cant stand mobile phone speak..... wot r u doin.........drives me bananas !!!!!!

i alwayus thought the word resume...was like re-sume is that even a real word?

i alwayus thought the word resume...was like re-sume is that even a real word?

yep, means "to carry on" - "I resume my work today."

The other being "résumé", pronounced rez oo may - a french derived word

.. the one that makes me want to slap grown men in the mouth, "anyfink"...
"The King is a thing" doesn't have the same ring to it :)
Seriously - its a living language and is changing constantly, the most common version of the current plural of octopus was not acceptable 30 years ago.
And if you are getting stressed now, wait until the people who grew up txting start being the most common wordsmiths - written English is in for some major changes!

What I love is the way people make judgements on pronounciation with know any history of the words and phrases they use. All of the English language has been borrowed from every other language. In the process the spelling, pronounciation and meaning have been modified, reversed or changed entirely to suit the user of the time.
When you read a phrase the venacular used allows you to hear the voice of those posting. You can make value judgements if you wish but really precious people have litte value.

Still, ungyen, please! The recipe calls for onions not ungyens.

Resume is an abbreviation or corruption of assume again. As in I re-assumed my position becomes re-sume.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually feel sorry for all the txtspeakers and such, can you imagine what will happen when the time comes to submit a resume? And if I come across a post which is so garbled and poorly spelled/written that it is virtually unintelligible, I take note of the name of the poster and lump them in with the 'know nothings' - after all, would you take advice from someone who cannot take the time to write a comprehensible post?

I have to agree, I have to shortlist resumes from time to time and the spelling, grammar and composition certainly help decide which pile the resume goes onto. It's not "cool" just uneducated.

whoa, who submits a resume. Its commonly referred to as a resume' but never a resume. That's just atrocious. You people should be ashamed, you bunch of uneducated oiks. Definitely not cool.

just thought I'd put up this picture of a sign I saw at Subway today. If this is who they're hiring to be managers in places like this, I hate to imagine what they're going to manage in the future :s ... It's kind of sad that they can't even write public signs correctly now.
05022011478.jpg

Can you set the spellcheck to work automatically, so that you cant post without using it?

I have never noticed it there!

whoa, who submits a resume. Its commonly referred to as a resume' but never a resume. That's just atrocious. You people should be ashamed, you bunch of uneducated oiks. Definitely not cool.

PETER! I am appaled at your flagrant disregard for the correct usage of the apostrophe! The true to form version is "résumé". Have you not heard of an "accent aigu"! Sheesh! That would have earned you a rap on the knuckles with a wooden ruler by the French Canadian nuns who taught me! For shame!

Gee, sorry about the 'sin' of not knowing how to put the accent over the 'e's in resume - my computer literacy is not fantastic, however I assumed that from the context most people would understand what I meant, especially as the rest of my post was coherent, unlike the vast majority of posts from 'txt' speakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back