is this normal?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't read the whole thread so sorry if this has been said.

You need to put a protective cover over the heat and flouro lights. Also provide more hiding places (hot and cold) and also put some more fake plants in there so it feels comfortable moving from one place to the other, and isn't so in the open.

yeah were getting to that... were just finishing up a more perminant tank 4 them and thats got vines fake plants logs etc 4 them 2 play n hide in...

a 45cm snake is no where nearf too big for a tub. Those plastic things with grilled lids are perfect for your snake. And they only cost $11.99 at the Warehouse. Leave your cage as it is and put the tub inside it.

And remember that snakes are not people. They will happily crawl up into a really tight space with no light at all and stay there for a long time. You would never do that as a sane human and if you were put into a buried coffin you would go mad. Well, a snake wouldn't (until it tried to get out I guess). They have different brains to us. What we think is good (wide open spaces) is just a death trap to a snake. They will not be stresses in a cage that you think is too small but they WILL be stressed in what they think is too big.

I think the last word I used was agrophobic.

yeah i went out today n bought a small box 4 them n drilled some holes in the lid... so i'll give that a go..... thanx :D

I hope there not big holes, they will fit through a 3mm gap.

There is ample information available concerning the basic hunsbandry of commenly kept snakes; on the internet, in libraries, and in pet stores. Everything you have been told about cage size and handling in this thread you should have known before buying the animal. You would benefit greatly from reading a cross section of husbandry papers. Don't rely soley on what you get fed from internet forums. They can be helpful but sometimes confusing for a new keeper.

Also: http://www.usingenglish.com/

Hey guys i have another question.... if a snake is stressed does that mean it wont eat....? Because i dont want to do anything that could make it want to start balling up again.... what do you think i should sdo...?

Erm hasn't it already been decided that you'll be leaving the animal alone for a while? Apparently there's some confusion as to what that means? It includes not attempting to feed it.
Just leave the creature be for a couple of weeks. As in don't open the enclosure at all unless necessary.

i know thats why i was asking to clarify it... theres no need to be rude...

I dont understand some people...we are encouraged to ask questions...even the questions we deem to be stupid or silly, and then when we do...we are made to feel bad about asking it. I really dont see the need to be condescending in this place and rude.

Being stressed can make a snake not feed, but it really depends on the snake itself and how long it has been stressed for, as it does not always show up straight away. I would just leave it in its new container for a while with no handling at all just to settle in, and then feed it normally. Don't worry if your snake is due for a feed now, as it can wait another week or more with no problems. Just let it settle in first.

punk_uzi said:
i know thats why i was asking to clarify it... theres no need to be rude...

lets us know how it goes punk_uzi , and keep them questions coming ...if you feel the need to ask them , then aks them , there are plenty of non rude poeple that will help you :D :D

They may seem like dumb questions to experienced keepers but at some stage they were probably asking lots of similar question themselfs.

The cage is miles too big, put them in a small container. It is complete rubbish to say handling a snake will kill, that's just ridiculous.
Remember there are no stupid questions just stupid answers.

thanx guys....i have them im a 7 liter plastic container which i put inside the encloser so they still get the basking light heat etc... they seem happier like there moving more and stuff..... how big should they be before i move them out of the box.....? There about 45cm now....

You could get aweay with a 12 litre container now if you wanted or just wait a few months and go straight to one of those bigger plastic ones (I will try to get a photo when I get home)

Wow no offence but it scares me that after only 2 days you've handled him so many times that you can say "he balls when I do this but not when I do that" etc etc. Whenever I get a new snake I usually barely even see it for the fist week unless it decides to come out to bask and show itself to me! Try to limit handling to a maximum of once a day :shock:

It's probably also preferable to have them in separate cages to avoid any possible accidents...maybe put 2 of the 7 litre containers in the enclosure they were in before. I do agree that there's no need to be rude but Vat makes a good point...you should always research an animal BEFORE you buy it! But as others have said, it's better that you ask questions and fix the problem than to stress and eventually kill your baby snakes. :)

punk_uzi said:
Hey guys i have another question.... if a snake is stressed does that mean it wont eat....? Because i dont want to do anything that could make it want to start balling up again.... what do you think i should sdo...?

Here's my advice. If this snake was in my care and i wanted to get it settled once and for all i would do this: Get it into a small container that isnt clear but frosted so it cant see out. I would place this container into a larger heated enclosure. I would give it sheets of paper towel or newspaper for it to go under but also a small box that the snake will fit TIGHTLY into. Also give it some water. I wouldnt give it any lighting for now, just heating. Snakes feel more secure in darkness. After all this is done i would leave it alone for weeks. The only disturbance would be changing the water. Apart from that i would just forget that the snake's there and let the snake forget about me. After several weeks i would start offering food by dropping a thawed pink into the container once every 2 weeks until it's taken. Once it's had about 5 feeds i would start giving it some lighting during daylight hours. I wouldnt start handling until after maybe 6 months and even then it would be briefly on a coathanger hook. But that's just me....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back