juvenile caging (posted on behalf of frodo)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicole

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
juvenile caging

I've been told i should house my juvenile coastal carpet python

I've been told i should house my juvenile coastal carpet python in a tupperware container until its 10 months old but im unable to get any advice on what heating and lighting i should use while it is housed in this enclosure. any advice would be great thanks

Hi frodo,

Here's my opinion.
As a hatchling you can use a critter cage to house your Coastal.
Pop a heating pad under 1/3 of the tank to achieve a thermal gradient, attach it to a thermostat to make sure you don't let him cook.
Put in a small branch, a water bowl at the cool end, and 2 hide caves if possible, one at the warm end and one at the cool. If you only have one hide, place only half of it over the heat.
Lighting from windows in that room should do for lighting, if no windows are around, use a red or blue globe for viewing at night, and any old standard bulbs for day.

Hope this gets you started, and welcome to APS :)
Cheers,
Nic

my little guy is only 7 months old and is already in a 2 foot enclosure. give him some room to grow! :D
if u decide to keep him in the little one a heat pad should work well.

have my coastal (about 5 months old) in a 50 cm by 40 cm by 30 cm enclosure. about 1/3 of the cage has a heat mat underneath the cage. I take him poutside most days to get some sun light. My cage has a hide made from a small cereal box., breeders choice as a substrate, heaps of branches and a small rock, and of course a water bowl.

For my 10 month old Maccies I have them in individual click clacks and then have the four containers sitting on a length of heat tape connected through a rheostat and thermostat as I am using the 65 Watt / metre type tape. If you use the lower wattage tape you can do without the rheostat but should still use a stat in my opinion though lots of people don't. The rheostat is adjusted so that the tape maxes out at around 32 degrees which gives me a gradient of 30 deg hot end down to 25 approx at the cool end of the click clacks. The little Maccies seem very happy with this arrangement :)

thanks guys that info's been great. any advice on where to buy my reptile goods in syd eg: heat mats, globes, food ect ect...

There's Reptile Barn at St Marys... Also a lot of smaller pet shops are getting reptile supplies in now but they charge shedloads for them.
Best bet is to take Brendan's advice and order through Herpshop.com.

I find the prices at the Reptile Barn very reasonable, and it's great to just go there and brows around!

I meant the smaller retail chain petshops like Pets Paradise charge you shedloads. Reptile Barn is very reasonable I agree.

As for the reptile Barn,
I'm glad yo said Browse and not purchase they are the dodges place around,They love to prey on newbies.

Only after a buck!

pet care direct at peakhurst sell frozen mice and rats for a reasonable price for all the people who live in syd. but unfortunately they dont sell any other reptile related products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back