Karloo Pool/Track

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bearded_Lady

Reaction score
Hey guys. I went herping for my first time today! Yay! I only saw a few skinks, which were too quick to get a good shot and they little terrestrial bird which also escaped my lens :( I did manage to get a nice shot of this little dragon tho. Assuming its a jacky dragon? I've got another piccy in which you can just see a juvie. Are they the same species? The scenery was quite spectacular. I went in the early afternoon, so it was absolutely scorching. Has anyone else been herping around this area? I was hoping to see a snake, like an eastern brown, but no luck. Any tips for time of day/ areas to look?

Attachments

• 149.jpg
    149.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 150.jpg
    150.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 59
  • 135.jpg
    135.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 130.jpg
    130.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 84
That dragon looks awesome ilove the white stripe going down it.. nice river view in the third pic aswell :D

Yeah was a cute little fella! The water was beautiful! I managed to fall in, denim shorts and all! There were little taddies in the water too! Next time I go I'm definately going swimming.

Thanks moloch, means alot coming from an amazing photographer/herper such as yourself! I'm just a newbie :p

I've been there a few times. Every time i've been there i've seen a lacy and heaps pf jackies. The first time i went there i saw 3 mountain dragons. Every time after that i saw none. So i think a few poachers went here. the last time i went there i saw a RBBS

Mountain dragons are still common on the track, they are a bit more picky when they come out weather wise, though there are better spots for Mountains close by, RBB snakes, Whip snakes, GTS are all pretty common, Diamonds if your lucky, there are stacks of Heathies and Lacies on hot days.. The tadpoles you wuld of seen were most probably Leseures, they are common at the pools.

Poachers still exist? How sad :( Without rock flipping, where are the best places to look for the RBBs and whipsnakes? It was extremely hot that day, is it possible that it was too hot?

The RBBS i saw was right at the bottom of the track. Just sitting on the big rock slab about 2m from the water. when i approached for a photo he went into a small crevice. I didn't get any closer after that.:lol::lol:

Most snakes avoid the heat, for best herping try between 7 - 9 am or 4 - 6pm, I have always found more elapids at the start of that track, between the fire station and the first creek crossing.

Thanks jason! I'll definately go back there this week for a bit of swimming and herping! Really got my heart set on seeing a RBB :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back