Injured BTS...chances of survival?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowfella

Reaction score
Hi
Long time lurker and first time poster. And afraid this likely will come through as a daft question with the likely answer of "how long is a piece of string". And pardon the long winded post in advance.

Had an unfortunate incident with a BTS in the yard this morning, first BTS I've ever seen in the yard I might add. Went to vacuum out the pool, grabbing the vacuum hose out of the shed, hooked everything up and started the pump...took a minute or so to get water really flowing (think everyone can see where this unfortunately is heading).
Finished the vacuum and when I popped the lid on the skimmer box out came one soaked and very pissy BTS.
Scooped it up and it was was instantly apparent that it had suffered some rather bad injuries, a rather prominent prolapse from the rear and and what seemed like no movement of rear legs or tail. No apparent bleeding though.
Popped it into a plastic tub with some kitchen towels straight away and tried WIRES but after 5 minutes on hold gave up and drove it down to my local animal hospital. Didn't want to wait around anymore with an animal that most likely was in quite a bit of pain.

Receptionist took it in to see the vet straight away, returned my tub and had me fill in a form of where it was found. Felt so ****ty about the whole situation that I didn't really want to hang around and pester them with questions, they will be lucky if they can read that form as my hands were kinda shaking.

So...what's it's chances? Anyone had anything even remotely similar happen that had a good outcome? Hours later still feel kinda heartbroken over the whole situation. I'm an avid hobby wildlife photographer, mainly birds but not one to pass up some herping if I get a chance. Refrained from taking any shots of this though, didn't want to delay that vet visit one second more than what I had to.

Might add that the vacuum hose is now off the floor of the shed and in a spot where an unfortunate little cutie can't use it for a hide anymore. :(

Hi mate, sorry to hear of this unfortunate incident that you've experienced but I would say the BTS will be fine. Reptiles are pretty resilient. Although it's not exactly the same, I've seen 2 cases involving captive turtles, (one just yesterday) where the owners have come home to discover the turtle had managed to remove the intake strainer from the external canister filter on their aquarium and the turtle's head has been sucked into the intake.... Upon discovery, they quickly turned the filter off and removed the turtle which was bleeding from its eyes, mouth and nose and had a very swollen neck and head and bruising everywhere. It's now on the mend after a trip to the vet, it'll take several weeks but it'll make a full recovery. I've seen turtles drowned like that, successfully revived and recovered.

You won't know for sure unless you contact the vet, but unless the vet was a proper reptile vet, it's likely the bluey was euthanized. Just my opinion from previous experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back