Kayaking

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried joining an aussie forum but am still waiting for my account to be activated.

There is a mob in Port Macquarie that takes ppl out on leisure tours. Have emailed them for some info. and have a go with them.

Can you tie the paddles to the kayak even while you're using them? I can see my daughter (Mel) dropping hers in the water, and me, and having to chase it to get it back. Haven't found anything but I might email that place near you MatE and ask them for some advice.

Yep you can get paddle leashes.. a very good idea! They look like a spring and are very flexible. If you are fishing you can them for your rod as well.
I tried joining an aussie forum but am still waiting for my account to be activated.

There is a mob in Port Macquarie that takes ppl out on leisure tours. Have emailed them for some info. and have a go with them.

Can you tie the paddles to the kayak even while you're using them? I can see my daughter (Mel) dropping hers in the water, and me, and having to chase it to get it back. Haven't found anything but I might email that place near you MatE and ask them for some advice.

I Love yak fishing and hope to be out off Pt. Cartwright tomorrow. Beatlloydys comments about a dry bag are spot on. I put my phone in one and the bag goes into a sealed pocket on my person. I flipped the yak last trip and the phone, though submerged, remained dry.
Oh and yak fishing is far more exciting than from a shore or a boat though even a small mack tuna can tow you a long way out

Attachments

• DSC_0066.JPG
    DSC_0066.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC_0065.JPG
    DSC_0065.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 40
Yep you can get paddle leashes.. a very good idea! They look like a spring and are very flexible. If you are fishing you can them for your rod as well.

Sounds great. Can you also tie a paddle with them when not in use? My little girl might not want to use one all the time. So would be convenient to be able to put one down, unless the kayaks are big enough just to lay it along the floor.

Fuscus you sound like you have a great life. Can't wait to start mine :) Getting towed along by a fish almost sounds like fun so long as it isn't something trying to attack us .. lol Mack tuna? Is that Mackrel? They look beautiful blue in the water, usually in schools and very easily driven onto a sand spot. I was at Hat Head once and there was a line of guys in the water and drove lots of these fish onto the beach and picked up their catch. They gave us some too so we had nice fresh fish for dinner that night.

Our local fishing/camping shop has a NEMO 2plus1, comes with two seats and two paddles for $1199. Would you say that is a good price?

Sounds great. Can you also tie a paddle with them when not in use? My little girl might not want to use one all the time. So would be convenient to be able to put one down, unless the kayaks are big enough just to lay it along the floor.
Yeah you just leave the leash on and lay it down beside you or in front of you.

One option for finding cheaper kayaks is to use Ebay but use the location option and only look at ones within say 50km so you can go look and can pick up. Thats how I got mine.

........One option for finding cheaper kayaks is to use Ebay but use the location option and only look at ones within say 50km so you can go look and can pick up. Thats how I got mine.

I had a look at Ebay and found this one.
New double sit on top kayak RRP $1700+ (eBay item 260680661020 end time 30-Oct-10 18:27:45 AEDST) : Sport

Am dropping hints at the family to pitch in money and help me get it for Xmas. This guy has 10 of them on Ebay so obviously something I'll find regularly on there. Newcastle isn't too far away and I'll have an excuse to go see my family :D

Hi Guys
My daughter and I hired a kayak today and paddled the beautiful Hastings River. Had a great day. What a freak day after all the bad weather and water as calm as you could want it. Here are some pics i took :D We had a ball..
016-1.jpg

005-2.jpg

001.jpg

024-1.jpg

018-1.jpg

039-2.jpg

A couple of important rules
1/ dress to swim - you may go in the water - so dress so you can swim and are not too uncomfortable when you get back on the yak. I flipped a couple of kilometres out last May and was sooo glad that everything dried quickly
2/ kit to flip - basically anything you want to keep should :
A/ Float
B/ Be Tied down.
C/ All of the above.
I recommend C.
Stuff that can't get wet should be in waterproof bags. My phone is grateful that I obey this rule.

Thanks for sharing the photos Tristan. I would really love to go with other people. I guess I'll soon find some friends to join. They was canoe racing in the Macleay River this weekend. We do have a local club but they are way above my level. All they advertise is competition so I am not sure to even bother contacting them to join for leisure adventures.

Fuscus that is really good advice. I have a water proof bag designed for my camera, and also just another bag for carrying my valuables. They do work well.

cagey I could have done with a massage last weekend. I went out in choppy water and was fighting the current to get back to home base. Our maiden voyage and I had to pick the most crappy day. My arms was so dead by the time we got back to shore, they were shaking. I couldn't stop to rest at all or I the boat would just drift around off course then I was fighting to get the momentum happening again. And I had the most massive pig out, I just could not stop eating. Wasn't hungry, just wanted to eat. Had chips, icecreams, coke, you name it, anything unhealthy I downed it....hahaha. I was too embarrassed to show this photo but here is an idea of the water I got myself into last week...
007.jpg

But yesterday was absolute relaxation. It was awesome, smooth sailing all the way.

Caught this 12 kilo bluefin out of my yak last season.I was hoping it was a spanish but oh well.
P3280529.jpg

that group i went with was from work.

i organized a kayak day for people that were interested, and i did a group booking from a local hire/tour place, so we have 2 person kayaks and it was all pretty good fun

Just got back from camping at Moreton Island. Brought the kayak and had a great time.. kayaked out to the wrecks ferrying drinks and gear, mucked around in the shallows and took it over the surf side for some wave pumping action... such a great investment!

Jason and I went kayaking yesterday for about 10km up the Nepean river from the wier at penrith to devlin road, it was awesome, we seen heaps of water dragons, a big lacie missing a foot and two goats, there were stacks of bass and they don't see you until your on top of them and they take off. I think next time I'll use more sunscreen (pretty sore today) and remember to take drinking water.

We are having an absolute ball :D I know I've been slack on the forum but this is why.....Getting off the computer and outdoors....
018-Copy.jpg

039-2.jpg

006-5.jpg

057.jpg

007-2.jpg

018-2.jpg

003-2.jpg

I went out on the Wilson River today. Spent 3.5hrs paddling and did 7.44km. Sounds like a long time, but I wasn't trying to beat a time. I was having a great time checking the banks for wildlife. I saw the most yellowist water dragon I have ever seen. He was gorgeous. Only had a small camera so couldn't take any stunning photos but I got a few to show the day...
This photo does absolutely nothing for this dragon. He was high yellow - very pretty fellow
021-2.jpg

The calm side of the river
015.jpg

Saw an abundant of these fellas. Such pretty birds - Azura Kingfisher
027.jpg

A few flying foxes but not many
044.jpg

Looking back up river
049-2.jpg

Went out on the Macleay River today. Went against the incoming tide for about 1.5km and then dawdled back along the bank for my water dragons. Sure enough, they were all out. I counted 48 all up. There were varied colours from silver/gray to bronze and also more of the high yellow ones. Those guys are gorgeous, and so too are the mature ones with their red chests glowing brightly. Saw a few babies, but mostly juvenile and adults. The babies are hard to spot but I think I managed to spot 3 or 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back