keeping turtles with fish

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frozenmouse

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
i would like to put a turtle in my fish tank its 6x3x3 i have a couple of oscars about 6" a salmon cat fish about 8", just wondering which one if any of the turtle species can be kept with fish . ( friend of mine had a nt long neck it was insainly vicious and would go bezerk and try and eat anyone that went anywhere near the tank) are all of the aussie turtles like this?

i wouldnt trust any turtle with fish,they are to aggresive,but i have kept fish with my turtles,if i put about 50 fish in the tank 5 or so will survive(they learn to stay away and are too quick)

iv always had fish in my tank its better, they entertain the turtles its fun watching them chase em so, what if they survive.i have got about 30 guppys witch keep having babies

hey dabool, do you mind putting up some photos of that fish tank, its huge.

my tank is small compared to some of my friends tanks here is a very bad photo they start to get expensive once you go above 28" high you have to go to 12mm glass . this one has 10mm glass with lots of bracing on the top.
the filtration is 2 fluval fx 5s which give about 8x turnover and hour which is modest some once the turtlr goes in i was going go to 10x turnover.

Attachments

• DSC01584.JPG
    DSC01584.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 293
Dabool, when my Kreffts boy was little he'd go nuts and catch all the fish in his tank. Now, however he tends to ignore them- he very rarely catches them anymore, if at all. Shortnecks tend to be more carnivorous as juveniles/hatchies, and as they age and get larger they begin to consume more vegetable matter, becoming more omnivorous. Having said that I think there's always a risk of loosing fish, or getting chunks taken out of them if you house them with turtles. From what I've seen with a friends longneck, and what I've read, they love their fish much more throughout their lives and as adults, and they are superb at catching them!

Can't comment on pig nose turtles, never even seen one in person. Awesome looking from pics though, but I believe they're expensive?

thats nice dabool. I bet that driftwood was expensive lol, i went looking to buy some driftwood from local aquarium shops. Once i seen the price tag on some i decided i would find my own.
I am thinking about getting a second filter instead of just upgrading mine to a bigger one. My filter barely makes a current.

shadow x , yeah the pignose are a bit rare i would spend the money if i could find who has them ?
the driftwood is mopani i it has heaps of tannin and has started to clear up now tho.
it costs a fair bit these pieces are about 3' x 2' i got them from an aquarium that sold them to me at a good price the small pieces you can get from pet shops cost big $$$s

i have a longneck and i have a short neck turtle.my long neck turtle will eat anything that goes in the tank lol.i have barbs in there with the short neck and he sum times chases them but they are way to fast for him.u could put fish in there but make sure they arnt viscous fish and alsomake sure they are really fast fish,but there could always be a chance the turtle mite catch them.

I got my saw-shell today! Had to brag.. See if you can spot him
View attachment 103018
Is 'tannin' the yellowing of the water from driftwood? My tank is extremely yellow in bugger all time. Any way to stop that?

Mid if you go to your aquarium dealer and ask for some purigen its a small bag of stuff you can put into the filter works AMAZING and you can renue it .... its little tiny beads of stuff ... takes ANY nastys out of the water its expencive tho ... about $30 one bag .,... but omg it works a treat!

there is no way to stop tannins leaking.
You can soak the log before putting it into the aquarium for a week which usually gets rid of all the tannins in small logs.
You just have to do half water changes weekly until the water clears up.
Damn you, I want a saw-shell to put in with my croc to live together.

again there is away ..... get some purigen ,,,,,, amazing stuff ....

Will purigen stop the tannins leaking or just clear up the tannins that have already leaked into the water?
I will get some of this purigen stuff for my croc tank, but i don't want the log to stain the water faster than the purigen clears it up.

Purigen is a synthetic adsorbent, not a mixture of ion exchangers or adsorbents, but a unique macro-porous synthetic polymer that removes soluble and insoluble impurities from water. Purigen removes proteins, nitrites and nitrates, ammonia, and a broad spectrum of organics. Purigen darkens progressively as it exhausts, and is easily renewed by treating with household bleach.

well i used to have it on my tank and i'd always have a issue with the tannins up untill i got that stuff and as quick as over night all the discolour was gone and never ever had a issue with that drift wood again even when i put it in a tank without the purigen .... im just going from my experance with the product ... and i found it a amazing thing .... I even have a liuttle baggy of the stuff under the filters in my froggie tank now ....

Oh well, i might go get some of this stuff tomorrow, will stop me having to change the water every fortnight or so.

i swear by the stuff ,,,, you wanna make sure you have enough for the amount of water you have in your tank though ,,,,, for my 4 foot tank i just needed the small bag ... it stops the ph and all messing up as well

I got my saw-shell today! Had to brag.. See if you can spot him
View attachment 103018
Is 'tannin' the yellowing of the water from driftwood? My tank is extremely yellow in bugger all time. Any way to stop that?
where is he i was gona download the photo and zoom , i think i am gona try a saw shell with my fish and if it does not work out ill put him in another tank ...how big do they get.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back