Killing cats and stuff

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two cats that act like dogs. They follow me around everywhere I go sleep with me meow when I leave greet me when I come home and play fetch. Cats are awesome.
P.S. they have never gone outside.

My two cats are the same. They have gone outside at my old place. I had them trained to sit on the lawn and enjoy the sun. Supervised of course. If they went off the lawn 3 times they would get put inside and not let out again for 2 weeks. I had them trained so well that they would not leave the lawn and when I said 'let's go inside' they would get up and run straight inside. Even my vet nurse friends were suprised!!!

I belive that cat owners should be responsible. Where I live now is a new estate. Our house backs onto a big paddock. There are soooooo many birds, lizzards and other animals here and there is already some irresponsible cat owners letting their cats roam. If I see them around I will admit I throw rocks at them. Not to hurt them but to scare them home. I'd hate it of they attacked and killed the beautiful owl that sits on the street sign next to my house a few nights a week. Or the gorgeous hawks that fight with the crows. It would be a real shame to loose this lovely wildlife that I know will go anyway once they finish the development. Sad face.

We have two cats, they've never been allowed outside. So many cats get run over and leave heartbroken owners, especially if the owners have young children. Our cats are very friendly and playful, the male in particular is very affectionate. Every morning when I get up he follows me around everywhere until I pick him up and give him a cuddle. He wraps his paws around my head or neck and smooches all over my face. When we go out somewhere he's waiting in the window when we get back and comes running to the door to greet us... perhaps he forgot he's a cat and not a dog lol. We have to watch him carefully when going out the front, he gets very sneaky and has run out the door a few times, but he doesn't go very far. He sees the big scary world and lies down because he's frightened haha. The only hunting our cats ever get to do is hunting McDonalds soft toys in the house, sometimes the female brings us a toy and meows at us, showing how good she is at 'hunting' lol. I'm glad more people are buying cat runs or keeping them inside, many people have learned the hard way when they're pet has been killed on the road.

That was our message also. When we were in the Caboolture area 13yrs ago we were going out on wildlife calls 24/7 & a big part of it was teaching people about our wildlife & how to protect them which included responsible pet ownership. now we are out in the sticks & we are dealing with a different mentality. They don't care, my pets can do as they please & I don't care what they kill, kinda attitude. I might as well talk to a brick wall, it would have more brains.
My daughters teacher last yr was telling the kids about how old her cat was, it was 9, & how cats only live to about 12. My miss 8 thought it was funny & told her our cat was nearly 18. The teacher went quiet after that. Later when talking about it, her cats are free range & she sees nothing wrong with that & thinks it is OK that her cat kill things. When we said how our cat is looked after she says, "oh no I couldn't do that" like it was cruel or something keeping them indoors. GGGRRR!! My cat doesn't get sick or get into fights & I know she wouldn't be alive now if she was left outdoors.

I'm pretty sure you can't re-home a feral cat, "feral" being the operative word.

Makes me wonder if people in cities actually know what a feral cat is?

I've seen feral cats out bush; heard of them being gentled if they're caught as kittens, but you're right, Darlyn, ferals in the city and country are very different; city ferals at the least are used to seeing humans, and tend to be smaller and less healthy. All but one of my four are rescued city ferals; the two kittens were part of a litter I saved, and the older one was off the streets of Brunswick, and so messed-up he attacked humans on sight. The vet he was initially taken to offered to just put him down, but he's an affectionate, sweet little guy now - he's the one I mentioned in the "weird animals" thread who rescued my diabetic mouse. City/suburban ferals can certainly be rescued and rehomed; country ferals only if they're very young (though I wouldn't mind giving it a go).

What about if a snake got into your yard and killed lizards/chickens?

Not that I care if a dog kills a cat, but I don't see how a dog killing a snake that ventures into its yard is as bad as everyone here makes out. It's unfortunate, that's all.

It's also up to owners of vulnerable animals such as chickens, etc, to protect their animals properly by building fox/snake/cat-proof enclosures. We learned this the hard way when I was a kid, after foxes got into our chickens and pheasants a couple of times, and now the chook runs are like Fort Knox, and everyone's happy except the hungry foxes. It's all about responsibility. There's too much victim mentality in the world and too few mature adults.

Now I feel like I should be sitting on the porch with a shotgun and growling at the local kids to get off mah lawn.:p

Naga_Kanya spot on!
I used to hate "cats" and to be honest, still do just a little. But as you said, it does come back to stupid owners.
I have a neighbour with a very defencive dog that has ended more cats lives than i can count on my 2 hands (within its yard). And as bad as i feel for the owners of the pets, and for the cats themselves, I think it is fine for the dog to act in such a way. i know that if a cat ever got into my yard and threatened my lizards or my chickens, id want my dog to be onto it straight away.

Heres something to think about....
Do people register their cats as religiously as people with dogs do?
Should people with cats have to follow the same rules? keep cat within property boundaries unless out walking on a leash?
And when you see a cat running around your street, have you ever called animal management to come and take it to the pound?

Up where I live now (I used to live in the city), the council is VERY strict about cats, because we're surrounded by protected State Forest which is home to some beautiful endangered species. Registering cats is mandatory and punishable with huge fines/animals being destroyed. Having said that there are three cats that come into my back garden at night, and I'm trying to decide what to do about it. I'm going in to the local council offices to talk to them about the right way to go about it next week. We have beautiful lizards in my garden, which is largely a native garden, as well as birds and possums, and I want to encourage wildlife, but not if the local cats are just going to slaughter it.

Last edited:
The amount of herps that I see killed by cats is enough for me to hate cats. I don't hate them though, but I give the owners an earful of why they should be more responsible. If a cat is out side its owners property, and is hunting and killing wildlife then that cat is fair game. If its destiny is to be killed because of its owners lack of motivation to keep it under control at all times...then so be it.
I get sick to the stomach every time I put a hammer through a native animals head, because of cat and dog attack.
It isn't the cat's fault, they have been brought to a country that they should never have been introduced to. It is the owners.

Damn
I hoped maybe I had free retic food coming up

When I was in Nelson Bay my place was basically a reptile/bird refuge
The fences were as dog and cat proof as possible and never had a dog or fox manage to get in
Any cat seen on the property was scared off once
If the owner could be found they were told there could be a fatality in the family

If the cat came back it normally didnt leave

PS retic food wanted

I think it's a vicious circle, and a dilemma in peoples minds...

on one hand, your ethics say you should care for and not harm a living creature; e.g. a cat.
on the other hand, your ethics say you shouldn't allow a creature to knowingly prey upon another; e.g. cats and our native wildlife.

To kill the cat goes against your morals of caring for the living, but so does not killing or harming it.
Either way you loose out because you've voided some strong belief of yours as you allow some animal to get hurt when you could've stopped it; but that's where the vicious circle comes in, either way something gets hurt based on your decision.

I think the most important thing is removing one animal from the world for the sake of saving another is somewhat acceptable...it's when you enjoy it that there becomes a problem.
Remove cats you consider a pest, but don't consider it an enjoyable activity.

Just my two cents.

I don't hate cats - they can be trained, with some determination and patience - but they need to be sold licensed and desexed. Same with dogs.

I once went into work and a woman, very excitedly, came up to me and told me how she'd tortured a snake to death. I said some very nasty things in response about her cat and lack of respect for native animals, and how much of a moron she was (not exactly in those words...Oops). She came up to me a few days later and apologised, and it all came down to the lack of education regarding these things; not everyone understands that cats are such a devastating and a predominant pest/problem. Feral or domestic, a lot of people either choose not to accept it, or just don't know how badly one cat can devastate the local wildlife.

i dont believe any animal should be treated cruely,but if a cat is beyond the confines of owners property i would rather the cat shot then it harm even 1 animal,
Aussie wildlife is the most unique in the world and we need to be fair dinkum about protection of all our precious species, at any cost.

Sadly the truth is i think feral cats are here to stay,and at best we will have to manage them but will never be able to wipe them out as is the same
storey as cane toads.
In a couple thousand years they will be like dingos and considered native

i dont believe any animal should be treated cruely,but if a cat is beyond the confines of owners property i would rather the cat shot then it harm even 1 animal,
Aussie wildlife is the most unique in the world and we need to be fair dinkum about protection of all our precious species, at any cost.

Sadly the truth is i think feral cats are here to stay,and at best we will have to manage them but will never be able to wipe them out as is the same
storey as cane toads.
In a couple thousand years they will be like dingos and considered native

ahh no one ever believes me when I say dingoes aren't even native! frustrates me to no end! so this is a breath of fresh air :D

I think it's sad we live in a world so messed up by our own species an animal can't exist without being "owned" by someone. ahhh well, that's life!

The number of people who actually think cats are native will astound people! I would estimate that I would meet one a week, mainly adults too.

It is sad when we consider invasive species as native. While I will not agree with cruelty to any animals at all, the quick kill of an invasive animal is a different thing, at my dads farm we shot over 150 cats in 6 years and the native bird life came back in massive numbers including endangered species.....on 900 acres, when you don't own a cat it's amazing the number of collared cats you shoot!

we are the biggest feral species.

I don't think we are feral but I have long held the belief that man is the biggest parasite on this planet. I'll stop there before I get right off topic. I don't want to hijack the thread.

As someone said before I am not a cat person but kittens are cute, when they grow up they become a problem to the wildlife. I joke about wanting to shoot them but they have as much right to life here as we do until they are caught killing then they should be shot and dumped in the owners yard with an explanation and the other dead animal.

ahh no one ever believes me when I say dingoes aren't even native! frustrates me to no end! so this is a breath of fresh air :D

I think it's sad we live in a world so messed up by our own species an animal can't exist without being "owned" by someone. ahhh well, that's life!

My little mate Lizzy isn't owned. He's just there and comes and goes as he pleases, and we've become "friends". (I think he's in the process of training me actually ..... LOL .... he might even regard me as "his").

Cat's, the ones around here are pests, and I regularly find the remains of dead native birds in my yards (crested doves most frequently, and one of the friendly rozellas once). Got no doubt they've done in a garden lizard or two as well. Don't like cats or dogs coming into my yard, but since I've go no way of keeping them out all I can do is drive them away when I see them.

I think households should be restricted (by law) to no more than ONE cat per household and all mail neutered. Some goes for dogs. People should have to have licence to keep a cat or a dog too.

NO IFFS NO BUTS.

Last edited:
As a dog owner (3 rotties), we have to pay annual registration fees, for EACH dog, not like with my reptiles where one license fee covers the lot... Council rangers have the same rights to enter a property as a Parks and Wildlife (or similar) officer has for a person with a wildlife permit, so really whats the difference......how many reptile people will agree to paying a fee for each individual reptile they own!!!

i hate cats..... they have killed well over 7k worth of my parrots.
cats on my property=222

I hate cats, but I wouldn't harm one. The people on this site that hate cats advocate torturing them, it's just wrong. Rats are bred for food, and killed humanely. Drowning something, ripping its nails out, or shoving a cracker up it's bum is not humane.

i completly agree, i hate cats for several resons but i will never ever harm one. any person who takes part in animal crulty should be punished with what they did

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back