Killing live rats

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
killing rats

Euthanasia of animals is covered under legislation in the various states so it would vary depending on what state you are in. You should enquire with your local authorities. There are limitations governed by the Cruelty to Animals Act etc. The RSPCA in your state could probably advise you. I have found that different authorities can vary in their ideas. Freezing of mammals is considered inhumane and probably would be so in all states. I have looked into this quite a bit and the fastest and most humane way is the chop to the back of the head which can be done as described by one of the other posts - holding by the tail and wacking into a hard sharp surface. Gassing is also common but is not always humane as it depends how quickly or slowly the gas is delivered. My understanding is that if the gas is delivered slowly they go to sleep and it's all good, but if too fast is very distressing for the animal. A good clean whack is the fastest, cheapest and easiest unless you have a professional gas setup which can be expensive. We tried the vinegar etc but had no luck with it and went back to wacking them. We only do mice though, I think it would be harder having to do that to a larger animal.

co2 quick easy. no mess no fuss and once set up costs less than $20 a year

See i thought that too, but if you put your hand in the freezer it's not pain you feel, just cold. I really think rats and mice go in a hibernating stage once their body reaches a certain temperature. And then it falls asleep, it will then eventually die in it's sleep.

Rats and mice came from Europe (the ones we breed at least), where winters hit -10 degrees, every animal in Europe has a hibernating system for when it gets too cold.

Anyway, ether way... it's all killing.
Suffocating kills it, freezing kills it, and crushing it's spine kills it and also kills the soul a little lol

This is a common misperception. Freezing mammals is akin to torture. Its not the nice peaceful death people imagine it to be. Eventually they fall asleep and die but they pass through a period of significant pain first.

i believe tooth picks would suffice. plus, you can get em in a pack of 100 for those extra large waves of the undead rodents.

We use solid silver tooth picks pushed straight through the heart on all the vampire pinkies.

Co2 in my opinion is in no way humane. Watch your rats or mice when u do it to them, looks horrible

Co2 in my opinion is in no way humane. Watch your rats or mice when u do it to them, looks horrible

Your doing it wrong then, you have to get the flow rate right to put them to sleep otherwise they suffocate while still conscious

freezing vs co2

I have just bought some mice with the intent to breed & feed to my snakes. The research i have done suggests that it is totally fine to freeze pinkies & fuzzies as their lungs are small and it take a very short time for them to die, but it's way too cruel to do with larger ones. I have frozen a few small ones to date & they are dead in around 10 mins. The deal with the co2 chambers is to not put too many mice/rats in the kill tank at a time & only let the co2 seep in slowly to the tank to put them gently to sleep, the when they stop moving around, give them a final blast to finish it off. I've also read that if you intend to kill them by whacking them, better to place in a pillow case, & hit them really hard against a wall, that way it's done in one clean blow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back