Laptop Cooling

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SyKeD

Reaction score
Hey all

Just wondering if any of you's have had to build or buy a laptop cooler so your laptop doesn't over heat, as im just annoyed with mine overheating...i use this as a main computer ( I do realize that laptops aren't meant to be on as long as a normal computer..my other computers are crap slow cant handle the games i play )..

Laptop Specs - Dell Inspirion 8600 - 512mb Ram - 2.0GHZ - ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9600 PRO TURBO

Using just the fan in the laptop the temperature of it stays at 75 - 80 degree's ( That's with the fans going at full speed using a Fan controller). When i watch youtube Videos Temperature sits at 78 - 83 Degrees. ( I cant play games because it reaches 85 degrees then switches it self off )

I've got the laptop sitting on a 6inch fan with the Speed setting on 2 the Temperature drops to 65 - 70 degrees, When watching Youtube video's it sits on 70 - 75 degrees

Gaming - With the 6inch fan running i get %100 CPU usage and %85 - 95 RAM usage.

I have looked at some Youtube clips on what people have done and i have kinda tried to copy them but with my own style, I tried to build my own laptop cooler today..

[video=youtube;GQNL4__6QUY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQNL4__6QUY&feature=related[/video], this is just to give you an idea of what i tried to do. but with 1 fan, i'll most likely go out tomorrow and copy this.

I've used the compressed air from the servo to blow out the dust made sure everything is clean and air can get through.

I got the fan out of my old computer and found an old 12volt dc power pack cut the end of it off...connected the fan to the battery... stuck it under the laptops fan and it started to work really well.. i noticed a really big drop when i was playing a game... instead of my Ram running at %85 - 96... it dropped to %64 and stayed pretty constant but then jumped to %75...

Now the problem has occurred... The Fan has stopped.. I'm not too sure what has happened..My dad reckons that the motor inside the fan cant keep up with the power that is coming through or its been made to sit at one speed.. I'm a bit lost on what to do.. Tomorrow i'll be having a look at it and i'll post some pictures up on what i've done, i most likely will replace the fan and buy some 120mm fans with some sexy blue LED's haha...

My new plan is, getting x2 120mm fans getting a Dimmer light switch and hook them both up to the dimmer switch and the same 12volt battery pack so i can control the speed of the fans. ( If Any electricians read this.. any chance of a quick paint job of a diagram on how to hook the fans up to the dimmer switch and the battery pack? would be heaps good and much appreciated )

Hopefully i can get some feed back and idea's from you all any input is great :)

Thanks!!!

there are plenty of laptop coolers for sale... try dick smith, kmart, harvey norman

just like mine i got this acer a few months ago and somestimes it gets that hot underneath that i cant keep my hand on it because it will burn, i just went out and got another laptop because supposedly theres not anything u can do to fix it besides using one of those cooler pad thingos they have em at Dicksmiths and tandys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back