Last nights walk in downtown Hobbiton

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
nice shots of the sugar gliders, I have tried getting shots before but my flash is never good enough as they are usually to high. have you ever come accross quolls down your way? very nice to see a sydney red naped being posted, don't really hear of people finding them much, I still have to find one up this way, was it found in drier part of the park? definately beats a small eyed, thats for sure. do you see red napeds much?

Finding a quoll is like winning the lotto..saying that, there is a record of one no further than 2 ks from my house... I don't like my chances though, they are an enigma for me, as I have never seen one of any form, even missed out in Tassy, though I did see wild Devils there.

re Last

Some nice pics jason,like the red naped and sugar gliders :)

Great photos Jason, I haven't seen a Red-naped Snake before.

Ryan you would be hard pressed to find a quoll in the Royal these days I think. The big fires of 1994 plus increased urbanisation would have had a negative impact on their population. I have regularly seen several quolls north and south of Sydney though.

No use starting a new thread for my miserly lot....did the walk from Audley to Uloola falls return today so is probably in general locale of Jasons night time jaunt (give or take 20km as the crow flies)....the only herp photo I could come up with was a small lizard....Trying to identify him...is it a Nobbi Dragon? (only new to this herp caper...normally the mtb dont stop for nadda)

Oh, and I know it is not reptile related but this cool insect.

Attachments

• small dragon Uloola area 13Nov09.JPG
    small dragon Uloola area 13Nov09.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 75
  • bright bug 13 Nov09.jpg
    bright bug 13 Nov09.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 65
No use starting a new thread for my miserly lot....did the walk from Audley to Uloola falls return today so is probably in general locale of Jasons night time jaunt (give or take 20km as the crow flies)....the only herp photo I could come up with was a small lizard....Trying to identify him...is it a Nobbi Dragon? (only new to this herp caper...normally the mtb dont stop for nadda)

Oh, and I know it is not reptile related but this cool insect.

Not sure of the insect, but looks to be some sort of weevil or something?

Hi beatlloydy the lizard is a Mountain Dragon Rankinia diemensis.
Thanks Tim.

thanks for that...I have the "keeping and breeding Austrlaian lizards" book but either my eyesight is poor or their pictures are not as clear...but your diagnosis is spot on..as it says these guys generally live in the heathlands which is where I saw him.

Whilst on the subject of identification...what are the best ID books for
a)Australian snakes b) Australian lizards

thanks for that...I have the "keeping and breeding Austrlaian lizards" book but either my eyesight is poor or their pictures are not as clear...but your diagnosis is spot on..as it says these guys generally live in the heathlands which is where I saw him.

Whilst on the subject of identification...what are the best ID books for
a)Australian snakes b) Australian lizards
This book, will help you identify all the reptiles you find in the wild from dragons, snake, geckos...ect. It cost $50.

reptiles-of-aust-5743.jpg

Wow nice pics jas,still got to get out there myself and see these thickies.
Got any more pics of them,i know your sick of them but im not haha

The "cool insect" next to the Rankinia is a Botany Bay Weevil, Chrysolopus spectabilis. They hang out eating wattles and can be found along much of the east coast. They become dormant in dry weather but emerge after a bit of rain to feed and breed. Botany Bay Weevils live for up to five years, and were one of the first Australian animals described, in 1770 by Joseph Banks himself.

I just died a little inside :(

I've been waiting 2.5 years for my invite.

Pfft. When I get my new camera on Sunday I'll go herping myself and show you all :p

you wouldn't want to hang around us old fogey's ;)...... we just sit around and drink and talk about herps and dirty women all night....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back