Laws on importing and exporting

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any geezer that thinks keeping cane toad is a good idea should be put off keeping reptiles full stop.

Australian native fauna that have been killed by eating or mouthing Cane Toads include goannas, Freshwater Crocodile, Tiger Snake, Red-bellied Black Snake, Death Adder, Dingo and Western Quoll.

Fair enough... but the wee man already said he came from England and ain't even old enough to get his reptile license. A bit of education and slack would be nice.

yes but prettypython i believe that just because its known to be a destructive animal doesn't mean we should spit on it, hate it and kill it. I think it is a fascinating creature, thats my opinion i have friends that say things like "why the hell did you get tree frogs as a birthday present"or "if i saw a snake id chop its head of". It is a destructive animal yes but it has a purpose (not in Aus because its origin is Hawaii where it isn't as destructive) but i wouldnt call somebody a Geezer for liking an animal with destructive capabilities. I can't even kill a fly let alone a 15cm Amphibian! Sorry if i offended you...

How does keeping one in a tank affect any of these species? I think you need to lay off the OP. He was asking legitimate questions on stuff he didn't know about
oh your so smart! Imagine if every idiot that wanted a canetoad done that. We would have toads everywhere. All the ones that escape would soon cause havoc.

oh your so smart! Imagine if every idiot that wanted a canetoad done that. We would have toads everywhere. All the ones that escape would soon cause havoc.

They're here already so this one theoretical escaped Pet would make no difference

It was just a question it wasn't me telling everybody to go and get a cane toad and then release them in the wild. Even native animals can cause havoc if put in the wrong places.

Fair enough... but the wee man already said he came from England and ain't even old enough to get his reptile license. A bit of education and slack would be nice.

Your right. Sorry wee man. I'm just an emotional grow up.

They're here already so this one theoretical escaped Pet would make no difference
the op said they are NOT in his area naturally. And its not just one..... if others kept them their would soon be a happy toad family.
Ill also quit now I don't argue with idiots incase people get muddled up who the idiot is.

Crail4 good luck with your licence, I'm sure you'll find some lovely native australian reptiles to keep.

Last edited:
He actually said they have been sighted in western Sydney. I don't appreciate being called an idiot either. I'm far from it. I think you just need to chill out. You seem to have come into this thread looking for an argument

Your right. Sorry wee man. I'm just an emotional grow up.

the op said they are NOT in his area naturally. And its not just one..... if others kept them their would soon be a happy toad family.
Ill also quit now I don't argue with idiots incase people get muddled up who the idiot is.

Crail4 good luck with your licence, I'm sure you'll find some lovely native australian reptiles to keep.

Don't stress prettypython, we can all see who the idiot is lol

I have around 20 canetoads in my bin ATM- better hurry if you want them though, I can hear the truck.

I'm not sure if it's true as I've never had to look into it but I think if you're under age, but real keen to get into herps, you can get a guardian to sign for you. If not, you could always get your parents to apply for the licence as the licences state that reptiles must be kept at the premisis the applicant is living, it doesn't say who was to look after it ;)

As for keeping cane toads as pets...

Each to their own.
People kill them because they are "destructive" but if you hit a cat with a golf club you'd cop a hefty fine lol.

I don't like cats but I don't think everyone that likes them is a geezer.

You need to get import permits for the natives, you most definately cannot keep cane toads as pets, especialy not in NSW where we thankfully don't have them this far south(yet)
do a search on the deccw or OEH website and there is a recorded population at taren point. You think they dont hitch a ride in fruitboxes, or just on trucks in general?

Instead of cane toads you could look into other types of frogs i adore fat green tree frogs they are the cutest, i suggest Snake Ranch for snakes they are the best in my eyes :) and you wouldnt need a import/export for them just your regular reptile license.

I'd say I'm further south than Taren Point though ;) I said this far south I didn't say not in NSW at all.

Goldmember i got my amphibian licence last year when the laws were different now you have to be at least 16 to get a licence and yeah ive already got Green tree's and an Ambystoma Mexicanum (Morpholotl) which isn't native and i've always wondered why there legal but other exotics arent? Anyway this is a "snake thread" not a Marine toad (bufo marinus) thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back