Leaf tail gecko enclosure thread

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"these are long lived and undemanding captives" :- Keeping Australian Geckos

I wouldn't say they are hard to keep but I personally wouldn't recommend them for a beginner such as yourself. If I were you, I'd get another species or two before trying these guys out but obviously, its up to you.

I wouldn't say they are hard to keep but I personally wouldn't recommend them for a beginner such as yourself. If I were you, I'd get another species or two before trying these guys out but obviously, its up to you.

Thanks Rocket, I know its up to me, but I am happy to listen to advice from anyone with knowledge of them.
What aspects of their husbandry that would make them more difficult to keep over other species?

I was given the same recommendation many years ago from an experienced keeper when I considered keeping them.

To me, they require expert and knowledgeable care simply due to their low numbers in captivity. There numbers need to be brought up a bit in my opinion and people with experience would certainly understand the requirements of reproduction, incubation and hatchling care greater than a beginner. Also, they are somewhat undemanding but I wouldn't call them basic either...well, not in comparison to other Nephrurus, Diplodactylus etc...

Here's some recent photos of mine...

Attachments

• P5180002.JPG
    P5180002.JPG
    168.5 KB · Views: 66
  • P5180007.JPG
    P5180007.JPG
    158.2 KB · Views: 51
  • P6210004.JPG
    P6210004.JPG
    215.2 KB · Views: 59
I see where you're coming from Rocket.
I understand they are slow maturing, and I can see how we as keepers have a certain responsibility to keep these species available for future generations.
It doesn't however change the fact I would like some, just maybe not right now ;)

also nice pics, how big are those?

They would be approximately 160mm total length... I haven't measured them as they tend to get left alone.

They are rather difficult to track down, I was lucky to get the offer from a friend at a bargain price.

Leaf tale geckos are so cool I love them but hard to find if anyones breeding them yell out I'll get some.

Leaf Tails

hi, was wondering if you new anyone that was selling leaf tail gecko?
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back