Levis levis keepers & breeders need some advise please! Temp question!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lilmissrazz

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys So I have checked the temps in my levis levis enclosure, hot end is showing approx 45c!! is this too hot?? Most have said 30 for hot end, I didn't think this heat mat threw out this much heat!! anyway can someone please advise me what wattage mat I should go out and grab please, I have him in a 2ft aquarium and at current the mat covers approx 20cm square @ the hot end. Oh P.s cool end is showing approx 25c These temps where taken with a suction cap thermometer sitting on top of the sand. Thanks for your help guys

Omgosh!
Isnt it warm enough up there now? My geckos have a tiny heatmat and i use the heat from the top of another enclosure.. 45 is crazy..
Put it on a thermostat if u have to use it

Yea i get the thermo thing guys, im talking about right now, Ive called the local pet shops etc this morning when I read the temps and none have thermostats so ill have to buy one online, But in the mean time am I just looking at a 14watt?? 7 watt??

Lilmissrazz the mat you have is fine its the right size it just needs the thermostat. Dont panic just unplug the heat mat you have conected up and order your thermostat. He will be fine until you get one. If you want you can plug the heat mat in for an hour (or until the hot end gets to 33deg) in the evening to heat up that end of the enclosure then unplug it again if you do this each night until you get your thermostat your little mate will be fine.
Even though we keep the heat on 24/7 (some of us anyway) with the warmer weather up this way you will have little to worry about until you can get a hold of a thermostat.

Ok so obviously turn it off now, and then just turn it on tomorrow arvo when I get home from work to heat up the hot spot to 33 and switch it back off and give it one more blast before i go to bed?? continue this till my thermo comes?? Thank you so much for giving me a solution!!

The best money we ever spent was $39.95 on a Temperature Gun (from Bunnings)
Not saying this is the case with you, but we were using one of those little suction cap thermometer's and it was notoriously unreliable (and just plain wrong) sometimes.
With 8 snake enclosures, the Knobbies tank, plus incubator tubs, it provides an instant read out for re-assurance.

And it provides endless fun at parties :lol:

i use a reptile one 7 w heat mat on my levis tank its a fairly small heat mat but i use it with a thermostat as without it will reach well over 32degrees. Unless you are using just a couple of watts no heat mat is safe without a thermostat. You could still use the heatmat until you get a thermostat but elevate the tank a bit so it isnt directly on the heatmat.

yeah i was having same problems with my snake not sure if its the same with levis levis but i was told not to panic if the top of your sand is at 40 its alright as if you go outside in the sun and read the temp of sand its usualy alot hotter but my temps are around the 35 mark as i have a thick bed of sand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back