Levis Question? How many clutches is too much?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Juderei

Not so new Member
Reaction score
HI,

Its my female levis levis's first breeding season and she has had 3 clutches since 15/12/08. I have separated the male already and won't put him with her for a little while.

It looks like she is gravid again. Is this normal or is she overworking herself?

Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated. Should I keep her breeding this season?

For her first season I'd suggest not putting the male back with her til this season coming. In the short term it won't affect her providing you pump her with food, but in the long term if her conditions arn't kept up her life span will be shortened significantely.

I had a girl in her first season drop something like 11 clutches and she was fine.

Keep the food up to her and she will be fine, If you notice her getting thin seperate them but even with the male out she can still lay a couple more clutches.

She is a pretty big eater. She eats about 5 crickets every day \, along with woodies and garden skinks (which I dont feed her anymore.

I might slow her down just to be safe.

She is a pretty big eater. She eats about 5 crickets every day \, along with woodies and garden skinks (which I dont feed her anymore.

I might slow her down just to be safe.
Garden Skinks????? :shock: Havn`t heard that one before.

i've heard a levis can easily eat a pinky...
I reckon they probably can but my levis would have to be in very poor condition before i would offer them a pinky.
It`s exteremely dangerous to worm gecko`s and thats if it can be done at all. I would never feed skinks and i would seperate the animal that has been fed skinks so that there is no possibility for the rest of my collection to get worms through the feaces of this animal. I would even consider culling the animal to be safe, My whole collection is worth more than the life of one animal with high risk, but thats just me.

Im pretty sure my female isnt infected with worms. She looks in perfect health. But dont wanna risk it either so, ill just stick to crickets.

Most geckos will take pinkies, strophs, Nephs, milii's, all down pinkies with gusto.. thus you have to account for the ethical views of feeding live rodents as apposed to live insects ( I'll leave that for someone else), and also the high amount of protein that geckos usually don't get naturally, though an occasional feed shouldn't bother them. I have used "Worm out" on geckos without any problems to date.
The amount of eggs a gecko will lay is linked to the amount of heat it is exposed to, and it is possible to have them keep laying untill they die from weight and calcium loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back