Lighting and Heating help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redbacksnake

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have an enclosure with the following inside measurements

length = 110cm
depth = 64cm
height = 68cm

Snake is 6 foot coastal carpet.

What type of heating and lighting is best? I was thinking a reptistar uvb together with a normal fluro in a double batten 24" long. What do you think?
Heating - either a light or a ceramic heater. But what wattage.

What do you use for heating and lighting and what type of thermostat?

Thanks
Glenn

What is the room temperature? How well insulated is it?

It could get a little hot with 36 watts on during the day.

IMHO carpets do not need UV but coupled with a normal flouro it can look good..

For a carpet in an enclosure of that size I would go a basking spotlght up one end like a 12v 50 watt halogen. These can look good and can be dimmed if the temperature starts to climb.

For heating my preference is for heat tape under tiles: http://www.herptrader.com.au/TiledEnclosure but the ceramic heat emitters on sale this month at the Herp Shop would do equally as well and end up costing less.

Can you give me a list of things you think I should put in the enclosure from your shop plus prices. Thanks

There's no need for a UV tube...

If you want to do it properly, I'd put the snake in a taller, skinnier enclosure first. They will be more active, climbing from the warm end (top) to the cool end (bottom). I'd put a 40 or 60 watt Infra Red globe (with a cage!) up top, connected to a thermostat (Microclimate preferably, but black box or IMIT will do) set at around 33-34 basking temperature. Put in a small (1-2 foot) fluro, and it'll be perfect...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back