Lighting/heating question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jonno

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Heya,

I would like to add a heat globe into an enclosure, size 50cm high x 40cm wide x 32cm deep. Its actually a bedside drawer/table thingy.

Would using a dimmer for the actual globe make the globe heat the enclosure slower than what a globe would normally?

Would i also be right in guessing that a smaller watt globe would not heat the enclosure as fast as a higher watt globe?

Also what would be the best globe for a very small enclosure?

Reason is i dont like using a viv and heat mat.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Jonno

hi,
you could use a 75watt globe with a dimmer for a enclosure that size.JMO!!
cheers

Depends on what your keeping in the enclosure. But, i think generally a 40 watt globe would heat it sufficiently in the summer for most species of snakes and some lizards. Maybe a 60 or 75 watter in the winter if your not cooling the animal.

I would just use a good probe thermometer or gun to keep an eye on the temps -- adjust wattage accordingly to reach what is desired.

A 25 watt party globe (red or blue) would be more than enough for an enclosure of that size. I use 25 watt globes in enclosures that are a bit larger and temps at the hot end get up to 35 deg C but if you plan to use a dimmer you could go up to a 40 watt and adjust accordingly. Remember you dont want to cook your critters.

A bit of trial and Error possibly.... Are you using a thermostat at all??? I do... That way it keeps the temp regulated.... No matter whether it is night or day... Winter or summer... Mine are Juves at the moment..So I am not cooling at all.... Next Year I may look at turning the Heat off though...???

I use a 100watt for a 4ft fish tank.... Maintaing temp on average of 30 Deg. And the heat really only comes on at night..... During the day the bulb is just a dull glow to maintain the temp.

But for you... IF you do use a thermostat....Go a 40-60 watt... If not using a thermostat... I think you will have to try one bulb...And monitor the temps.......Very carefully.

I'm with surfcop, 40-60W should do the trick. If you get a min and max thermometer you should be able to use the dimmer to get it just right. Make sure you cage the light so your animal cant burn itself on it.

Dimmers mean that the temps will change from day to night as the outside temp does. You still get a general warming but you also get fluctuations which means closer to nature. Thermostats just keep the same temp night and day.

Thanks for the help guys, just wanted to make sure before i went ahead and done it, will be using a thermastat for both day and night temps.

CHeers

Jonno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back