Litoria brevipalmata

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhysc

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a location in south west sydney, where I collect inverts from, scorps spiders etc etc, I have been frequenting this area for quite a number of years.

Two years ago, I discovered a population of Litoria brevipalmata, I notified NPWS, and was told I was basically a tripper, as the species were not found this far south, and I had stuffed the ID up, I hadn't. So I notified The amphibian research centre, with no reply. So where to next, no one believes me, no one will come look for themselves, and a population of endangered frogs, that are living in a highly populated area, probably being trampled, attacked by dogs and cats or poached.

So what should I do, how do I make the appropriate authorities listen.

Please don't ask for the location, as I am not going to let the world know, or they will be gone forever.

Cheers
Rhys

I would be inclined to supply some photographic evidence with your arguement, this may atleast get the authorities thinking.

Also keep the place as best a secret as you can mate. .

Call a university near by and see if they have anyone studying frogs etc that can verify your find.

Once I find where they went on the computer (I am somewhat computer illiterate) I will supply them.

How would I find a uni group that studies frogs? Would anyone know if they studies frogs at UWS, dont know any other uni's I'm not the school going type hence why I am a mechanic.

Thanks for that dude, will get on to it in the morning.

Hi Rhys,

A lot of people have mis-ID'ed other common species as Litoria brevipalmata which is probably why the "authorities" would be sceptical of your claims. Although if you were able to provide photographic evidence it would be pretty persuasive. It would be unlikely that L. brevipalmata occurs in SW Sydney however people have been surprising me lately with finding certain frog species where they haven't been recorded before. As for universities studying frogs, I'm not sure if you would have much luck with them in the Sydney area. Try getting in touch with the Australian Museum, they will be able to help you with inquiries.

Aaron

Rhys, first and foremost, you need to provide a positive ID, whether a photo or a specimen. Honestly, there are disjunct populations of many species in many places, so your note will probably simply be noted, unless it concerns an already vulnerable species.

If you post a photo up here, and a general, loose locality, then people will be able to offer better advice.
S

Hey Aaron, I am aware of that, such as the stoney creek frog, but that has semi webbed toes where as the brevipalmata has no webbing. I will have some pics within the next couple of days, and you will come to the same conclusion as I. I can't do anything without proof.

Thanks heaps for the replies guys, I have always been against speaking about publicly, just in case, but I am getting no where on my own.

Everything I have stated in my first post is what I have done in regards to making people aware of them, as I have said, I have been rather secretive, and have kept this between myself and my mate who comes with me. I posted on one frog forum when I first found them, and all they wanted to know was the locale, which was never going to happen.

Everything I have stated in my first post is what I have done in regards to making people aware of them, as I have said, I have been rather secretive, and have kept this between myself and my mate who comes with me. I posted on one frog forum when I first found them, and all they wanted to know was the locale, which was never going to happen.

A lot of people ask for the general location of the sighting because it aids in identification. L. brevipalmata has fairly specific habitat requirements and you have made these claims without any proof or information so you cannot blame people asking for more details.

I can understand that I'll try and find the pics, should have pics of the site, or some of it atleast.

Ok these 3 shots are the only ones from the site that people will struggle identifying the area from.

spot.jpg

Nokiapics132.jpg

Nokiapics136.jpg

lol, you cant blame me for being secretive about it, we all know the scum that get around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back