Little bit of wind last night..

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
They (weatherman) have been predicting cyclones on and off in my part of the world for the past week but do not seem to be taking them overly seriously, for example, the brief cyclone close by they happened to name Oswald. Im not sure if Im meant to be scared of a cyclone named Oswald or mildly amused whilst awaiting him to bring me some tea.

Anyway, the wind that gusted up to 100km last night was a bit exciting and woke the dogs up. Luckily most of stuff round home is already packed away and stored just in case but I still had to clear two branches off the car this morning. Apologies for the bad pics, they were taken on my phone on the way to work. The first couple are of a 70 to 80 foot tree with a root base of +/- 15 to 20 foot which proved to me that the wind was a bit more serious than predicted. A couple more photos tonight of a $1mil + Cat that broke its moorings and ended up on the beach

Stay safe out there guys and gals...

IMG_1102.jpg
IMG_1103.jpg
IMG_1106.jpg
IMG_1110.jpg
IMG_1112.jpg
IMG_1113.jpg

Aahhhh the wet season..................gotta love it : )

That first tree looks like an African Mahogony. If they are sprinkler watered when young they develop a flat shallow root system with exactly that result. With drip irrigation they develop a tap root and are indestructible.

Dont think you've seen the last of (the terrifyingly named) Oswald yet.....Gulf cyclones tend to return home after a trip to Cape York.

I was expecting photos of a hatchy tub with scat everywhere after reading the title :p

Dont think you've seen the last of (the terrifyingly named) Oswald yet.....Gulf cyclones tend to return home after a trip to Cape York.

The other possibility I've heard mentioned is that it will roll right over the peninsula and reform in the Coral Sea, which would mean fun for us. :) Oswald could be my first cyclone.

Cyclone or not, it's been so good to have all this rain!

I'm flying up to Cairns tomorrow. I am that unlucky there probably will be a cyclone while I'm there. I don't mind the cat 1's and 2's but I could do without living through another cat 3,4 or 5.

The other possibility I've heard mentioned is that it will roll right over the peninsula and reform in the Coral Sea, which would mean fun for us. :) Oswald could be my first cyclone.

Cyclone or not, it's been so good to have all this rain!

The trouble with Cairns Ren, is that council have allowed development to go ahead indescriminately and many houses are built on incredible angles on unstable slopes awaiting that push from a cyclone where they'll end up all down the valley together. Cyclones are a great leveller between the haves and have nots. At least Darwin's flat.

The trouble with Cairns Ren, is that council have allowed development to go ahead indescriminately and many houses are built on incredible angles on unstable slopes awaiting that push from a cyclone where they'll end up all down the valley together. Cyclones are a great leveller between the haves and have nots. At least Darwin's flat.

I also wonder about landslides. A lot of rain in a short period of time, the soil softens, a few big rocks are no longer anchored as well as they used to be - I'm honestly surprised we don't get a few huge boulders rolling through houses every so often. Certainly the road between Cairns and Port Douglas got cut off by landslides at least once last wet season.

That first tree looks like an African Mahogony. If they are sprinkler watered when young they develop a flat shallow root system with exactly that result. With drip irrigation they develop a tap root and are indestructible.

Exactly what they are and what happened mate. Root base must have only reached into the ground 50 to 60 cm but were splayed out around the 15 to 20 foot mark

As long as it only comes back after Friday when Im out of the country, I'll be happy. The person looking after everything while Im away wont have an issue in a cyclone, he has survived worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back