New Pygmy Beardie owner with some questions...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zafira1

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm a new pygmy beardie owner, well he was my son's birthday pressie a couple weeks ago but the more I read the more I'm interested for myself. My partner's dad breeds a few species including pygmys, centrals, various geckos and a small type of goanna (not entirely sure of the name). He built the enclosure for us and set it up all for us. Our new lizard is about 8-10mths old we think. Not full grown, but not a baby really either. My partner's dad wasn't entirely sure as he rescued it from someone who wasn't able to keep it. Anyway, Drago is healthy etc and a good size. Seems happy enough, but I just have a couple of questions in regards to feeding habits and that sort of thing.

1. He's not a huge eater. We have his heat lamp & light on for about 12hours a day at the moment, usually about 8am to 8pm. In the mornings I put a bit of salad in for him, usually some carrot, lettuce or hibiscus petals. After doing some reading on here last night I discovered there's a whole range of other veg he can eat which is great. Usually in the afternoon we give him a couple of crickets, perhaps a mealworm every couple of days as a treat. My issue is that he's just not interested in the crickets. They end up crawling into a corner of the enclosure and he just seems uninterested. I don't know if its because one of his logs is still full of woodies that came with it when we got the whole setup off my father in law or if he's just fussy. My in laws did have another lizard in with him at their place and they say he ate like a pig, probably due to the competition I would imagine. Perhaps he's eating them when we're not around or after lights are off, I'm not sure. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. I've read on various threads about people misting their lizard enclosures, mainly on the normal size beardies. Is that necessary for the pygmys too?

3. Should we put some greenery in the enclosure? Is that something other people's pygmys enjoy?

4. I also read that people take their pygmys outside for some time in the sun out on the lawn? Is this recommended? I read some people have a type of outside wire enclosure they can safely allow their lizard to roam on the grass. Where would I be able to find something like this? We have a staffy who has been introduced to the lizard and I don't have concerns about her attacking him, but I would still prefer he wasn't able to dart off and disappear.

5. In regards to handling. Drago enjoys coming out of his tank and being "loved" however he is still quite flighty sometimes. We handle him regularly, a couple times a day so he can get used to us and the other way round too. Will this settle down as he gets older?

I would appreciate any advice from other pygmy owners. He's such a cute little guy and im really rather taken with him. I've put a couple of photos up on my profile.

Thanks

Attachments

• GetAttachment.aspx.jpg
    GetAttachment.aspx.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 135
Pygmy beardies will normally eat what you offer them, like crickets, woodies, vegies and whatever else is avalible. You could try feeding them at a different time of day, maybe earlier, and try varying the types of insects you give him a little more. I personally stay away from mealworms as I have heard stories of some that haven’t being digested properly and then they can eat out of the beardies from the inside, but you still can feed them as a treat every few days or so. You also have to be careful not to feed them a few types of greens like avocados, potatoes, onion, and rhubarb.

Misting should mainly be done to younger lizards, to make sure they have enough water, but it won't do any harm to older lizards if you want to make sure he drinks by spraying him. If people do certain things to normal sized beardies, its normally ok on pygmys (just depends on what it is).

I have never tried plants in an indoor enclosure but from what I have read it is fine. Just don't put plants in that will create shaded wet areas and a increased humidity level. You want to try and keep the humidity level around the lowest that you can.

Taking any lizard outside is highly recommended, and there are a few ways you can do that. You could just sit by him and watch him, making sure he doesn’t run, or you could get a tub and put a piece of cardboard or something over one half and the water bowl in the shaded half and put it out in the sun, basically a small outdoor enclosure. Whatever you do I wouldn't trust any dog to that extent in case they just turn on an un-expecting lizard which will make a disappointed owner.

Handling is a good way of making lizards tamer, but if you handle them too much, especially at a younger age, they can become too tame and not want to accept food. One way is to put a cricket at the bottom of your hand, and when he eats that move the cricket further up your arm etc, so that they see the activity of you holding them isn't so bad cause there is a reward.

A few good books and care sheets will help. Also I can't find any pics on your profile, only a album with nothing in it.

Last edited:
My dragons eat everything. They even ate the first flower off a 20 year old tillandsia that I put in for them. I thought hey would appreciate a nice plant...they did! Crickets and roaches get mown down and they love their greens. Might be worth a vet check, especially if he's a rescue.
I don't mist my adults, but will put them in a bath for a swim when they are moulting. They go and jump in the water bowl if they want to. My hatchlings, first one coming out right now, will get misted.
I wouldn't bother with live plants, unless you are planning on them being food! Some people use plastic ones. Make sure anything you do put in isn't toxic.
Good luck!

Hmmm I'm at work at the moment so can't check on the pictures. I'll have to try and upload again when I get home. Thanks for the tips. My partner's dad who we got him off has been breeding for a very long time so he's giving some helpful advice as well. We think his heat light may not be getting warm enough. Apparently Drago wasn't a fan of crickets when he was with him either, he prefers woodies and the mealworms he breeds himself. Apparently they're a special type, I'm still learning lol.

I think I'll try and get him outside this weekend if the weather is nice.

You mentioned spraying him with water, I tried that yesterday and boy what a reaction! Bent over to drink it all off his face, started licking it off his tank wall where some had sprayed as well. He then came over to the opening and waited for more. I think he's a fan haha.

Thanks for the tips, greatly appreciated :)

your basking spot should be about 45 celcius.
Try and offer crickets and woodies. Beardies should not be fed mealworms mate they are too hard to digest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back