live birthing reptiles

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have over 550 papers, just from Rick? Do you know how many filing cabinets it takes to hold Rick Shines publication records?! He published his 500th in 2008, it was quite an achievement. I think we had cake if I remember rightly?

lol no ill re phrase i meant all the ones relevent to the research i did, particularly on black snakes.
Yes he publishes all sorts in all types of journals,just google.

Lemonz, while you're spreading wisdom on subject of parity modes and the selective pressures driving their evolution, what can you tell me about Saiphos equalis? Are they live bearers or do they lay eggs?

Concerning blue-tongued skinks, are you sure that Trachydosaurus is Tiliqua?

Snakepimp, why would a difference in parity mode justify placing a species in a separate genus?

You guys might want to read up on this. Here's a start: Shine, R (1987). Reproduction mode may determine geographic distributions in Australian snakes (Pseudechis).Oecologia 71 (4).

actually that is intersting discussion,obviously in the case of P.porphyriacus it doesnt justify as they are classified in that genus but its something that doesnt appear common,at least in snakes.

One of Rick Shine's major areas of research has been the effect of thermal environment on reproductive biology, and along with Michael Thompson who researches the evolution of viviparity, there has been a tremendous contribution to the field. I get fairly well exposed to this research without google, as I work alongside both these good folk ;)

Do you have a reference handy for your black snake research?

thanks everyone that actually gave me correct facts! I have field guides, but I am sure I could remember seeing a compiled list somewhere which would make it easier for me. thanks.

actually that is intersting discussion,obviously in the case of P.porphyriacus it doesnt justify as they are classified in that genus but its something that doesnt appear common,at least in snakes.

Mr Pimp, it appears that parity mode can vary within a single species! Saiphos equalis is such a species, which although considered viviparous, bears live young in the south of its range yet lays eggs in the north of its range, and something like egg-sacs in between. Current research suggests that Saiphos is in the process of re-evolving oviparity, after previously evolving viviparity! Think about that one!

One of Rick Shine's major areas of research has been the effect of thermal environment on reproductive biology, and along with Michael Thompson who researches the evolution of viviparity, there has been a tremendous contribution to the field. I get fairly well exposed to this research without google, as I work alongside both these good folk ;)

Do you have a reference handy for your black snake research?

Shine, R 1977, Reproduction in Australian elapid snakes. I testicular cycles and mating seasons. Australian journal of Zoology 25: 647-653
Shine, R 1977 Reproduction in Australian Elapid snakes.II.Female reproductive cycles. Australian journal of zoology 25 655-666
Shine, R. 1978. Growth rates and sexual maturation in six species of Australian Elapid snakes. Herptetologica 34: 73-79
Shine, R.1979. Activity patterns in Australian elapid snakes (squamata: serpents: Elapidae).Herpetologica 35
Shine, R.1985. Ecological evidence on the phylogeny of Australian elapid snakes. Biology of Australian Frogs and Reptiles, Royal Zoological society of New South Wales, Sydney
Shine, R 1987. Intraspecific variation in thermoregulation, movements and habitat use by Australian Blacksnakes, Pseudechis porphyriacus (Elapidae). Journal of Herpetology 21: 165-177.
Shine, R 1987. Reproductive mode may determine geographic distributions in Australian venomous snakes. (Pseudechis, Elapidae) Oecologia 71: 608-612
Shine, R.1987 The evolution of viviparity: ecological correlates of reproductive mode within a genus of Australian snakes( Pseudechis, Elapidae). Copeia 1987: 551-563.
Shine, R., and R. Lambeck. 1990. Seasonal shifts in the thermoregulatory behaviour of Australian blacksnakes, Pseudechis porphyriacus Journal of Thermal Biology 15: 301-305
Shine, R., G.C.Grigg, T.G Shine and P.Harlow.1981. Mating and male combat in the Australian black snake, Pseudechis porphyriacus (Serpentes, Elapidae). Journal of herpetology 15: 101-107
Stow, A., and R. shine. 1993.cage cleaning, investigatory behaviour, and the induction of defecation in elapid snakes. Herpetology in Australia: A diverse Discipline. Transactions of the royal zoological society of New South Wales, Sydneyd

Mr Pimp, it appears that parity mode can vary within a single species! Saiphos equalis is such a species, which although considered viviparous, bears live young in the south of its range yet lays eggs in the north of its range, and something like egg-sacs in between. Current research suggests that Saiphos is in the process of re-evolving oviparity, after previously evolving viviparity! Think about that one!

really??that is very intersting i was wondering why you mentioned that species which i commonly run into turning over logs and bits of tin.There is some amazing facts which are hidden away in scientific research which rarely seethe light of day and it is a joy to see these uncovered,well at least for me it is lol

Cheers, I was hoping to get your article though! The final reference in your post is a classic- "snakes hate having their cages cleaned"! I think we have all experienced the post-cleaning defecation effect :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back