lizard advice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

debmac

Reaction score
hi, i have just joined this forum because my 12 year old son wants a lizard for his birthday and i would like some advice about what is a good first lizard. i would rather he get a lizard that does not grow anymore than 30 cms so i have been looking at info on a central netted dragon. are they easy to look after. if i am only looking at lizards that will not grow any bigger than 30 cms what size enclosure should i buy for my son.Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Netteds can be very flighty. a bearded dragon or a skink of some kind would be a great first lizard although the beardies do get a bit larger than 30cms and so do some skinks but they are very docile usually and very laid back.

bearded dragons are a great first lizard.... but they git a little bigger than 30 cm. Probably body length of about 25cm and the rest is tail. but they are super quiet and handlable. very friendly. you can take them out quite a bit. they can also come in different colours such as red, orange, yellow white and the usual grey. they eat crickets and wood cockroaches and lots of veggies. so they are very easy to look after. they will need an enclosure around 4ft long and 2ft wide and high. they also need a basking spot at 40 degrees and i would recomend uv light aswell. but deffinitely the best lizard in my opinion:)

i have been reading about the pygmy bearded dragons, are they placid.

I have 2 juvenile pygmy bearded dragons that are about 4-5 months old at the moment and they can be a bit flighty but the more they are handled the more relaxed they get.

I think your best bet is a Central Bearded Dragon or a Blue-Tongue. Both will grow slightly bigger than the size you've stipulated but if you buy a young animal it will take awhile before they reach full size. Both are hardy and have basic captive needs. Generally, both species are great handlers and have fantastic personalities. Having said this, I love Central Netteds but they're not the most 12yo friendly lizard as they are very fast! Hope this helps!! Oh and welcome to the forum!

Premier Pythons

go for a beardie. They grow a little bit bigger than you want but about half of that is the tail. They are just incredible lizards. Very easy to handle and entertaining to watch. Each of my 3 has a different personality and i'd much rather watch them than the tv most days!

thanks for everyones fast replys and great advice.it looks like a bearded dragon will be what i will be looking for but i will keep browsing petlink for a enclosure and get a license.

Go a Blue Tongue Lizard (skink) mate, they are hardy as, don't get as agitated as some animals with being handled and are pretty good feeders.

ill argue a C/B Dragon is better...allot of individual personalities...
great for kids!

& i'll admit im just a tad biased!:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back