Lizard ID: Amphibolurus sp.?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario89

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I took this photo last year in the Watarrka NP, Northern Territory.

I think its a species from the genus Amphibolurus.
Can anyone confirm this? Is it possible to identify the species?

Thanks in advance and best regards,
Mario

Attachments

• CIMG2562 Amphibolurus gilberti_07-03-10_Watarrka NP NT.jpg
    CIMG2562 Amphibolurus gilberti_07-03-10_Watarrka NP NT.jpg
    346.2 KB · Views: 153
The photo name is CIMG2562 Amphibolurus gilberti_07-03-10_Watarrka NP NT.jpg
I guess you answered your own question.

The species is Diporiphora winneckei. Common name is Canegrass dragon, also known as blue lined dragon. Quite common through that area of SWNT. I have several of these in my own collection and have bred them many times over the last few years. The animal in the picture looks like a subadult getting close to being an adult male. The only other species of Diporiphora in that area is Lalliae and it is not Lalliae.

Lophognathus gilberti centralis includes that area in its range but it is definately not L. gilberti nor is it A. burnsi. There are no species of Amphibolurus in that area. Burnsi would require a significant range extension. The only other species of Lophognathus in that area is longirostris and it is not longirostris either.

Hope this helps

Thank you very much for all the answers.
A. gilberti was my own suggestion after I looked throug some pictures in the internet. But I think now, that Diporiphora winneckei fits much better! Thanks to longirostris! :)

Best regards,
Mario

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back