Long tail- is my she a he?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kiffies

Reaction score
I have a morelia spilota imbricata, Lucy.

I've had her from a hatchling and the seller assured me she was a female (I think he probed her)?

The reason I suspect her being male is because she has a very obvious "tail". By that I mean towards the end of her body it tapers off very suddenly to a thin tail, looks almost abnormal? I heard that males have longer tails then females (to accomodate the hemipenis).

I don't really want to go probing or popping her myslef, but is the tail thing abnormal? Guess I could always take her to a shop and get it done, but I dont think that's a nice thing to do to her.

Any advice about the tail length?

Chris

Although female's tails taper off very quickly some are different. I have a female that has a fairly long tail that doesn't taper off fast... But I've had her probed twice but two different experts and both have immediately told me she's a girl. It's just one of those things...

If I were you though I would get it probed by another person just to make sure... Hehe I would want to know for sure!

Arboreal species such as carpet snakes cannot be sexed using tail size and shape. If you're looking at breed or whatever and you want to be sure take it to a herp vet and get it re-probed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back