LOOKING FOR TURTLES

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakesRUs

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am looking to find out what the name is of the little turtle whos shell doesnt get any bigger than a 50 cent coin, and where i would be able to get some?

Cheers
Nikki

SnakesRUs
That would be the infamous Penny Turtle,
You cant get any because they don't exist.
A figment of shonky petshops imagination, all aust. turtles grow to roughly dinnerplate size.
Cheers
Ad

First of all, turtles do not stay at that size. The smallest is about 150mm carapace length and are not that commonly available but can be sourced if you are willing to pay for them and their frieght.
Secondly, if my memory serves me right its illegal to sell turtles that small in Victoria.
I'd like to have tiny little cows that I could keep in a little landscaped terrarium but its a fantasy like tiny turtles Im afraid.

The two "small" turts we have are the Western Swamp Turtle and the Macleay River turtle. As the others have said these get big when compared to a 50c coin. Easier to get a bigger coin :wink:
Unless laws have changed, the swamp turt is a "no go" as they are one of, if not the most endangered Australian herps.

The other issue is that turtles with a shell length less than 100mm cannot be sold or exchange hands in Victoria.

In theory this is because below that size they are deemed not self sufficient. In practice it is quite effective in reducing collecting small turtles from the wild as some species are off licence in Victoria.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back