Looking some pointers on materials for enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Morgwynn

Reaction score
Looking for some pointers on materials for enclosure

So, my family owns a joinery business, including a CNC machine (you program your design into it, it cuts out the board, drills screwholes, etc). I've been planning for a while to build a reptile enclosure and see how I go, and if all goes well, maybe see if we can get a little side business happening.

I just have a couple of questions - I was thinking of using a 16mm HMR black melamine particleboard. It would match my decor at home and I think it would look fantastic - everything inside would stand out really well when lit up. I can't see any reason why it would be a problem but I thought I would check. Has anyone used this sort of material before? Anything I should know? Problems, etc?

What sort of glass track do people use? Something you just get from Bunnings? And how thick should the glass be? 4mm? 6?

Also are there any specific type/brand of vents that anyone can recommend? Something with no risk of the snake escaping through it.

Is there anything else I should know about building an enclosure from scratch? Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I use 16mm white malamine and Im sure others would use black. I used the bunnings tracks which I believe uses 5mm glass but as they are a bit costy ($28), you may opt for a bulk buy somewhere else. Biggest challenge is working out how to supply heat and UV.

I like the black enclosures, especially with albinos and GTP.
Glass size for larger enclosures, I won't use anything less than 5mm.
As you have access to the CNC machine I'd go for doing the vents with that. Holes or lines will look good, just make sure you can seal the raw 'timber'
As for other tips, plan it well, think about daily use ( housekeeping) I'd include a ledge on the front to sit the glass track on. If you plan on doing any foam work in it consider what you are doing with that too before you make a cut.
I envy you having access to machinery like that, I'd go crazy with some of the ideas I have floating in my head :)

Your lucky having access to that machinery , bunnings has rectangle vents that lock into a pre cut hole ( the packet has the size of the hole on it ) , also make sure you seal the joints with silicone or nomore gaps .

cheers nico

Your lucky having access to that machinery , bunnings has rectangle vents that lock into a pre cut hole ( the packet has the size of the hole on it ) , also make sure you seal the joints with silicone or nomore gaps .

cheers nico

What section in Bunnings are the vents?

ask the greeter at the front door, they'll point you in the right direction, thats what they are there for :)

Thanks guys. The design I have so far does include a little ledge for the track. All that's left to do is work out how I'm going to do vents and wiring, then maybe I can look at cutting it! I'm not quite sure about how I should have light/heat set up... Just in light cages?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back