Looking to get rid of snakes in a residential area

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Snakes first feel fear when encountered by humans and their instinct is to take of and hide. Things like vibrations from you stepping/stomping should keep them out of your way.

A lawn mower is a great start to removing the hiding spots. The vibrations from the lawn mower should send most brown snakes hiding"running" .

I wouldn't necessarily agree with this. As someone who spends a fair amount of time slashing firebreaks over the summer months, I've seen my fair share of snakes and lizards that haven't moved a muscle when in proximity to a large tractor.

As has been suggested, I'm sure you'll find a re-locater willing to have a decent look for them.

Have you tried fire? Effective all living organism repellent lol

Get a roll of fine snake mesh and put it along the bottom of the hall fence, that way the snakes stay out and the kids stay safe.

This is most definitely not recommended. It results in snakes becoming trapped in the netting where they either die horribly and slowly and become a threat due to their heighten threatened state.
The use of netting as a snake deterrent is cruel.

It would also help Shelbie, if you could give a general idea of where you are located.
We get a lot of calls from householders in similar situations. The fact is we dont take care yard cleanups , we do rescues and relocations.

peter, im reading snakienewbies comment as the 6.5mm metal snake and mouse mesh that aviaries are made of, not the netting they get so horribly caught up in

It is completely understandable to want to remove dangerous animals from a suburban backyard. You wouldn't leave one in your house, so no reason to leave a snake in your yard if you feel uncomfortable with it.

The OP is trying to change their yard to something that does not encourage snakes to live in. We should respect that and offer the advice that is sought.

My advice, don't tell the gardening company that you have seen snakes, cause chances are they wont see them either. They should be aware of the dangers of gardening this time of year anyway.

.....or more like: "the kids stay out and the snake stays safe"

"of course we wish to remove them"

I fail to see the inevitability. They were here before we were. Unless you have kids that play there, I would let them be.

Lesson, kids: keep your backyard clean ;)

Hey, thanks for all your help, I didn't expect so many replies. People asked where this was so I am in Toowong in Brisbane if that helps.
I understand why some people think leaving them is best but there is a lot of pressure from parents of the bordering facilities and we tend to use the yard for activities during the summer so it is likely at some point we could rub our little visitor the wrong way!
Shelby

Sorry yes Peter I didn't mean anything to trap them, the wire netting that you put along the bottom of the fence to form a physical barrier was what I was referring to :)

Might I just say that it's admirable that you are at least trying to remove rather than exterminate; too many people these days would have been waiting with a shovel so well done there.
I agree with Waruikazi.

Toowong ? oh damn... man as much as I hate to do it- I'll try and free up some time; I'm just at Paddington mate I can most likely come down and move them for you. Leave it with me I'll PM you if I can find a spare hour. Damn ! Why did it have to be bloody Toowong. That's what I get for being a smarty pants...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back