Lost interest in this hobby

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wranga, sorry to hear that. I get it, though - I used to work in retail, "used to" being the operative phrase because there were so many infuriating people, and some who were just downright horrid lifeforms. Most customers were nice but it only takes one bad one to ruin your day. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

you can't pull out the hobby Michael...I need my own Supergirl some day! :p

+1,000,000!

It's been many years since I was breeding my Alaskan malamutes but I never had any tyre kickers call me. All the litters I bred went to good homes and show homes too. My snakes are my pets and I am not rushing into breeding them to make money. I only have two and I hold them regularly as they are my pets and not here to show off or make money off of them. I hope you enjoy whatever you decide to do now.

Sorry to see you getting out of the hobby, but I can sympathise with your reasoning.

When I had to sell my whole collection at the beginning of last year due to a move overseas, the whole experience very nearly put me off the whole hobby for good. From buyers who were plain dishonest and poorly organised, to getting bad mouthed on forums by 14 year olds for asking fair prices for my animals.

One buyer who new I had a deadline to sell, played me along for months, lied about applying for an import permit, then screwed up the import permit details when he finally did hurry the application, so that I couldn't send one of the animals. It turned out he struggled to get the funds together to buy the animals and so they were sent in good faith before full payment was made. When the one of the animals didn't arrive due to his mistake he reported me to DEC who had a bit of a laugh at his expense. He then threatened to get federal police involved, to which I had a bit of a laugh at his expense before explaining that maybe he should think about paying for the animal before stating that he had been ripped off. I ended up selling the animal to another buyer.

One "buyer" put me through approximately 25 separate messages over 3 weeks to buy 2 animals at a very good price without committing. Luckily another actual buyer came along who confirmed the deal and made a deposit on the same day after only a couple of messages with polite questions. When the original party came back to me and I happily informed him the animals were sold he had the nerve to have a go at me for not holding onto the animals for him.

I've even had threats made against myself and my family when purchasing animals from a poorly organised seller in Sydney who despite multiple attempts to organise payment on my behalf, became very upset when the money I had transferred to his bank account was going to take a few days to clear.

I could go on with many more stories, as I'm sure many of you could, but you get the idea...

Last edited:
Good luck with everything Wranga, hopefully moving on the rest of your collection doesn't cause you just as much stress. I really appreciated you helping me out in the past with sexing my hatchy!
Thanks, Jess

Like Jonno, if I did not work with reptiles I to would get rid of the lot. After 50 years of keeping and breeding them I also have had enough. Thieves, tyre kickers,users, scam artists and internet arm chair experts(as I like to call them) have taken just about all the enjoyment out of my passion for reptiles

As luck would have it, we recently signed a contract that could see ERD up for sale, or at the very least, up for lease. We've recently replaced all equipment with what would be the best outdoor display in Queensland and probably Australia, and have a huge inventory of animals and pre-booked work. I'm looking forward to not have to feed another lizard or clean another snake tub!

Wranga, I'd just like to add to this thread, and reiterate everyone's views - you WILL be missed in this hobby, for so many reasons, for so many years to come. You have always been upfront, helpful, patient and fair. Sadly, as Michael has said, the "idiots" are fast becoming higher in numbers than the "good guys"...

I, for one, will miss your input to the hobby greatly, and I just feel it is a shame that those who aren't old enough yet, or have any animals yet, will not have the luxury of having you as their guide.

On a final note, I wish you all the very best with whatever venture you take on - do it with gusto, as you have here! :)

Hopefully we'll see you pop back in here occasionally - just to say hi, and to show off pics!

All the best mate,
Carolyn

Unfortunately wranga this hobby seems to attract bad element to it at times just go back to one or two animals my interest wavers from time to time which is why I downsized to 6 snakes total. The end of the day keeping herps is addictive and we are all addicts

The reptile keeping hobby has changed dramatically over the last 20 years in Australia, when you do a comparison analysis of the last two decades. More people from a diversity of backgrounds are actively involved in the keeping, breeding, buying and selling of a wider variety of now affordable herps. Throw in the internet as a communication medium and tool for marketing and the hobbies dynamics are forever changed. Nowdays selling reptiles as a small time hobbiest can be daunting with buyers spoilt for choice at competitive prices. This can be frustrating when wishing to offload excess progeny that eat up time, effort, space and money, especially when buyers are few and far between. Worse still when they window shop online, asking endless questions from a seller with the click of an email, demand multiple photographs of an advertised specimen, generally being tyre kickers or worse from what I've read and heard about. Its enough to make the most passionate breeders keep breeding pairs separate for years at a time, or just sell up. There are more cases of keepers now owning the very few reptiles they just love and have one or two special projects in mind and being at peace with that. If breeding they plan to make room for the little ones to have a long stay and stagger out the selling process for however long it takes to sell them to the right keepers over time.
I dabble in field work every summer and find great reward in reptiles as wild animals. If it paid I'd do it as a full time job. Reality is field research is a luxury to find financed and runs at a cost rather than a profit. Again Herpetologists as research scientists are a world of difference from reptile hobbiests, from which they often distance themselves. The hobbiests are often unaware of this, assuming herpetoculture lends itself to herpetology in the scientific sense. This is nothing new, there is a history of it.
My advise to the seasoned and weary breeders trying to negotiate their way through the hobby as it evolves and are willing to walk away, don't in haste. Take a well deserved break if need be, downsize and let yourself breathe for a while and take stock. Come back to keeping and breeding if and when you are ready. Do whatever you have to, but remind yourself of where your passion for reptiles began, the journey it has taken you on, and where there is next to go with it.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that. I think it's sad how people can ruin this hobby for others. Wish you all the best with what you choose to do after this

That is a shame Wranga but maybe we could petition the DEC to tighten up the rules on licencing, perhaps go back to having to belong to a herping group as part of the process, just my 2 cents worth

Sorry to hear Wranga. You have been very quiet lately, as have i actually ..lol

Dont let a few morons ruin what you love, you dont have to keep 100 animals and breed them all , just keep what you love and go out and join ahs, go on some field trips etc and have some fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back