LOST themed DIY background

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dallas

Reaction score
I have been inspired by all the amazing DIY backgrounds that everyone makes so I thought I would try and make one for my olive Sookie's new enclosure. Its in two pieces to make it easier to move, each piece is 1100 x 950mm.

Painting was probably the hardest part, and I haven't sealed it yet so any last minute advice on how to make the tree roots look more realistic would be greatly appreciated!!

For any die hard LOST nuts like me out there I had to do the dharma logo's inverted because it was easier to cut out of the styrofoam that way ;)

photo 8.jpg

photo 5.jpg
photo 6.jpg
photo1.jpg
photo.jpg

Stick some Coir-peat to the tree roots it will make it so realistic.

I felt guilty for posting iphone photos so here's a couple with more detail

lostbackdrop0002.jpglostbackdrop0001.jpg

I think they look awesome, haven't seen a themed one like that, very unique!
Cam

yeh they look good. like it has been said above use some substrate like bark or coir peat

looks great , if you dont want to stick coir-peat on there you could hang some fake vine over it to make it stand out more , i used foam bits to make my tree trunk and expandy foam to make some vines going down the trunk . Let me know if you want to see the pic .

cheers nico

Thanks! I can't believe how little time it took to make and how much mess I made doing it all lol My original idea was to have heaps of LOST references (Eko's Jesus stick, swan hatch glyphs, Jacob's cave etc), etched in the stone wall but after putting the numbers on there I thought it might look too much.

Coir-peats a great idea, I never thought of that. I think another bunnings trip is in order!! I'll definitely add loads of fake plants to give it that hawiian island vibe. I sealed it this morning so I'll try expanda foam on my next attempt.

hey that looks really good, just wondering were abouts can you get sheets of styrofoam from cheers

sheets of foam

hey that looks really good, just wondering were abouts can you get sheets of styrofoam from cheers

i was also wandering where you get the sheets of foam from. PS The background looks great

Nice work! I'm starting one of these in the next few weeks!

Thanks!! I cant wait to get it in the enclosure (which I haven't even started yet lol)

Hubby got a couple of huge pieces of styrofoam from a builder and I used a couple of those foam eskys. I stuck it all to 7mm ply to support the whole thing. I've read on other threads that Harvey Norman is a good place to try because they throw out heaps of packing styrofoam.

lol, made me think of doin a background of a fuselage of a plane (a section of it) to be themed "Snakes on a Plane" lol...

perhaps try dry brushing some green on certain areas instead of using flock and dry brushing some lighter brown in a few spots for highlights. i've never done though :/

smoke monster or one seriously big mite problem?.... Lost :)
lost-smoke-monster-560w.jpg

smoke monster or one seriously big mite problem?.... Lost :)
lost-smoke-monster-560w.jpg

LMAO!!!!! Gold!

lol, made me think of doin a background of a fuselage of a plane (a section of it) to be themed "Snakes on a Plane" lol...

Lol Could be a new range for the store!!

You have just given me an idea to somehow make a fuselage hide painted like Oceanic with wreckage scattered along the floor for Sookie to climb all over! Now how the heck am I going to make that lol!!

Last edited:
it actually wouldn't be that hard.... ever remember doing paper mache on balloons at school.... find a thick 'sausage' balloon, do the paper mache on it, get a good stong base, pop the balloon , cut the wreckage to the desired size (hacksaw would do the job) and then continue the normal process of coating it.

I'll wait for the pics :)

well i was thinking more along the lines of router cut and rolled aluminium sheet (got to take advantage of the cool equipment at work :p)

That would look amazing and If you have access to the right toys to do the job then go for it, most of us sadly fall into the "make do with what we have" category.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back