Maggots in my beardie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Waruikazi,
If they are not feeding there will be no waste products. The toxins produced in wastes and their effects, depend upon both the species and their diet plus the numbers/biomass involved. Maggots make an excellent food source for reptiles. Check out this how to do it from Danny Brown’s website: http://geckodan.com/articles/Breeding the Bushfly.pdf . I figure he should know if anybody, even though he does not keep Bearded Dragons.

Bluetongue1

I am not talking about using them as food sources, we all know that the majority or inverts make for very good food sources. I am responding to your statement about fly blown wounds healing quicker. An animal or person with a fly blown wound, if left untreated or not medically supervised, will not get better. In most cases they will die, the waste products (however different they are from different species) are toxic and will cause further infection and further dead flesh.

A fly blown wound on an animal is not a good thing.

What would the out one be if the maggots didn't use a food source, died off and began to rot inside the head of the dragon? I'd take it to the vet to get flushed out...

When maggots are used in medical applications, the wound site is constantly supervised and kept as close to sterile as is possible, and the maggots are removed once dead flesh is no longer apparent. If left unsupervised the wound will worsen considerably- flesh will constantly 'die' around the wound site as a natural part of the healing process. While it is technically true maggots don't eat living tissue, the process of their feeding causes more flesh to die in the wound site- in fact it's thought maggot waste conatins naturally created ammonia.. these are some reasons why use of maggots is so limited in medical practice, and why it's seen almost as a desperation measure here in aus.

Also remember the O.P is not talking about medical grade maggots, here- some species, such as screw and blow fly maggots, are highly carnivorous and will attack 'healthy' tissue, and even housefly larve, if it's wild, can easily transfer diseases and parasites. Having said that, if the maggots are no longer visible and the beardie appears healthy, it probably Was just maggots from the mouth and not something you need to wory about.

Godddam, I need to stop reading bluetongues soapbox posts, it's catching.

Im a little confused as to where you seen the maggots......in its ears or under the skin......if they were under the skin.......are you sure they were maggots?? If you are positive they are i would be taking it to the vet, whether you can still see them or not, i cant imagine it is normal at any time to see maggots inside your animals head, no matter what it has eaten. Even if they were something else though......if something was visibly alive & moving inside your pet, i wouldnt hesitate to go straight to a vet!

I thought fly's laid eggs first?

Also would a maggot, that has come from a fly, (before being born) already be 3-4mm long and 1-1.5mm wide? They seem too big.
No-one actually put a ruler on them, so allowing for the normal over estimation in things sized visually, the answer to your question is YES.

Kawasakirider and Bel744,

There are a number of possible scenarios. The vet cannot remove a maggot from the middle ear or Eustachian tube without puncturing the ear drum to flush it out. Maggots are active animals, shunning light and seeking food. It’s odds on that any having made their way into the middle ear would make their way back out again because it is a less desirable environment for them than back down the tube.

In the highly unlikely event that one did die in the canal, the inner section of it is self cleaning with mucous draining into the throat. If it died in the middle ear and began to rot, the surrounding tissues would react and become inflamed and painful = an ear ache. Obvious behavioural changes would alert the owner. This would want the vet puncturing the ear drum, syringing and flush the middle ear/tube and probably putting a grommet in place until this settled. Maybe a course of antibiotics as well.

The vets contacted said not to worry unless there was a change in behaviour. I am just trying to explain the reasoning for this attitude. It’s far and away odds on the animal will require no treatment what-so-ever. If it does, it will quickly be evident and can be dealt with in a straight forward manner.

Waruikazi,
My apologies for that. Pythonlegs pretty much covered it. The species utilised for debridement of necrotic wounds is quite specific. Check out the “History of Maggot Therapy” or “Maggot debridement”.

Sure its not mites????
I would get your animal to the vet asap,
these things dont just sort themselfs out

yep the maggots will make the wound much worse and kill what ever they are on. our dog was healthy but got a cut on her head then to the vet but cause it was summer there was alot of flys and she kept running in and out the graden making things worse, and it got worse. then fly blown. all the medication we could give her and a cone on her head and flushing didnt help and she soon had to be put down at the age or 15..

There is a difference between what is commonly termed “fly blown” and what happens when maggots are introduced into dead tissue in a wound. There are specific species of flesh eating flies which will lay in animals like rabbits, sheep, horses, dogs etc. These flies are generally referred to as Bot flies e.g. sheep bot fly. The maggots from these enter through the skin and parasite the animal, eating healthy flesh. The adult flies are attracted to moist smelly areas, such as dung or urine soaked fur. They are also attracted to open wounds. Bot flies often carry nasty bacteria and are known to produce highly toxic wastes.

Not every fly that lands on an animal’s wound is a bot fly. Even so some, but not all, can carry nasty bacteria such as Clostridium and Staphyloccocus. If your animal is unlucky enough to contract an antibiotic resistant strain of these then normal antibiotic treatment is ineffective. If the head area and the brain are affected first up, then they may well be fatal. Although these bugs do exist they not super common. They are like the meningococcal bacteria that can be passed on in saliva and causes a fatal form of meningitis. It is still out there but with people now less inclined to share water bottles etc, you hardly ever hear about it these days.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
These "maggots" are more likely a parasite that lives in the gut and come up into the throat at certain times, especially feeding. Very common in wild dragons. These could then easily travel to the inner ear.
Something like gapeworm.

Nims is behaving perfectly fine. Thanks to everyone for the help and concern! He is happy, healthy and a nice beautiful bright yellow! :)

interesting read. i watched a darkling beetle (t.obscurus) lay eggs on a bearded dragons head the other day.

thanks for updating this!

my house was full of blowies on the weekend, normally i carry Kaida (beardy) around from window to window to catch them fro me, but was hesitant after your story!

she'll be happy to know she can go back to munching down flies,.....

I am still hesitant though. I know what you mean Chris, Nims LOVES them! Occasionally a fly will break into Nims's enclosure and he happily chases it down looking very proud.

I decided to allow it once more about a week ago, and the same thing happened. But the wigglers disappeared again less than 5 minutes later, and Nims was back to his usual self. I am so scared to do it though.. I really don't want to cause him any stress.. though to be honest he is the one causing me stress.. whenever he notices flies in my room he is doing the glass dance to get out and munch them.. I feel so mean not letting him..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back