Major Upgrade this Weekend

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually go to "whats new" and then there is a tab new posts, similar but the old version was way easier!!
looks like ill be spending even less time on here these days!!

I like the new set up. And for all those people complaining about getting "eye strain", come on! Woosess. :p

I'm finding the colour hard to look at too and it's causing me to get a headache whenever I try and come on and read anything.

I guess you can leave it the way it is, if you don't want many people visiting the site.

can you put a little colour into the backgroung rather than full white,
even just a light grey scale or something

i have only been on for 10 minutes, and i hate it, i amsure i will get used to the new format, and some of the new systems appear great, it will all be fine i am sure, no one likes change, but the screen is way too bright, my eyes are already sore and i am sure it wouldnt take long for eyelid flickers, which is a common ailment of too bright computer screens, This definately must be changed.

A lot better, but to tell the truth it doesn't bother me. I like it white. Looks a lot cleaner!

A lot better, thanks :) I haven't read through this thread so these points may have been covered already, but as you've lost your price field in the classifieds, adverts posted before the upgrade don't have prices on them. That won't matter after a while though of course.

Other thing is that I keep reading signatures (the ones justified to the left) as part of the post. I can't remember what it looked like before, but perhaps there was something that visually separated the sig from the post that isn't there now?

Did the font change from yesterday to today??

Oh, well it appears differently from mac to pc..

At least now my eyes don't hurt. Glad to see you decided to change your mind and listen to what virtually every member was saying rather than saying "But it's like Google, you're all wrong". Imagine if they printed a novel in the format of a magazine or vice versa. Each format works well, and people can read both for hours, but use the wrong one for the wrong application and people are going to select a different magazine/novel. It's the same with different types of web pages, and Google gets away with it because you don't stare at a Google screen for more than 30 seconds to a minute, even if you're doing hours of googling. The format you have here might be good for some applications, but it's not good for a discussion forum - I think that's the point you were missing when you set the current scheme up.

The colour change has partially fixed the problem of the 'cluttered' look of the new site. With all the boxes having the same colour scheme nothing stood out. If you are going to clutter the page up with a million different boxes at least make them clearly differentiated from one another and clearly label them. Even with a good colour scheme the clutter only works well for members who want to put the time into learning all about the site's system, while people like myself who just want to come in, click on "new posts" and maybe add a new thread or two once in a while just try to ignore it and find it gets in the way.

A really obvious solution would be to provide alternative skins for APS with different colour schemes and a 'basic' version which just shows the forum areas (snakes, lizards, for sale, etc - I stopped keeping track of the categories some years ago now so don't know what they are, but if they were consistent I would).

If APS is your life, sure, having it cluttered and complicated might be a good idea, but for most people it's easiest to keep it simple and user friendly. Making it quick and easy to use means people will use it rather than running off to your competitors. It makes even less sense to bother putting the time into learning the new system when APS's track record suggests it won't last long anyway. Remember that people don't like change, so changes should only be made if they are needed. This just looks like a case of reinventing the wheel in the hope it might be slightly better. If it's not going to be dramatically better, leave it as it is. If it's going to be worse, for Pete's sake, don't touch it. Given that designing a site is difficult to do, when you try something new it's going to be crap and need a lot of tweaking. Once you have something which works, stick to it.

Even if you want to ignore most of the above, you clearly should fix the differentiation issue (everything looks the same, so you don't know what's what - is it a post? Is it a signature? Is it a box showing the most recent posts of some randomly-chosen part of the forum which I am trying to block out, but can't, because it looks the same as the bits I actually am interested in?). This problem also makes the site look unfinished and unprofessional, and the current theme looks 'weak' - faded, small, fine print.

An obvious requirement (easily added) is a "new posts" option accessible directly from the home page.

I am finding that every time I refresh the page, as I do to see what has been added, I have to log in again.....is it just me??

Actually, I don't think it's everytime it seems to be after some time.

I also liked being able to know whether a member is male of female, and I can't see that anymore....but I'm not a stalker or anything.... ;)

Hi all , im having trouble , everytime i go into this sit e ,
it always comes up with a dns error , could anyone help with this issue please .

Just curious how many of you realise that the old software that APS was running, will soon (if not already) become redundant? Change is inevitable! Good work to admin for switching over with out to much disruption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back