Martial arts

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahwww yeah!!

I have studied Kung Fu for 4 years,
Muay Thai for 2 years
Jeet Kune Do for 1 year.

Love it!!!

I am yet to start my BJJ class, but i prefer muay thai 100%. faster, stronger and more deadly then most martial arts i would think. I do MMA for the fact that maybe i could fulfill a ufc dream.

I did boxing for a while when I was younger and now I'm doing karate. I love it.
I would like to try mauy thai but nobody does it where I live.

BJJ is brazilian jujitsu(or however its spelt). I would suggest going around and try a few differant places, regardless of what type of martial art you will get lots of variation on what their aim and approach is. Some places are aimed at competition fighting, self defence, fitness, assault, self-disipline or
a combintation.

Karate is good for basic technique so may be worth considering to start with. I have also done taekwondo for a few weeks, it was fun and pretty cool to watch them jumping around and doing all weird kicks. Arnis is good fun and probably my favourite.

not to put anybody down but i think TKD is completely useless outside the classroom. Same with all those pressure point martial arts, useless in my opinion. Unfortunately boxing has become more fitness then a sport, since everywhere you go authority people train in something quick and devastating, you couldn't use boxing against a bad bouncer or a smart **** person walking down the street because they more then likely train in kickboxing or muay thai or wrestling.

Ok what does "BJJ" stand for? I have seen it alot.

Have a look at this.

Marcelo vs. former UFC Heavyweight Champ, Andre Arlovski (Arlovski outweighs him by 70-80 lbs)

[video=youtube;B1KUZ1pJLvg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1KUZ1pJLvg[/video]

well tkd has gotten me far in all aspects of life inside the competition and out, would have to disagree licky tkd is very usefull in all areas of fighting anywhere you go

we kick with our shins you kick with your feet. pro muay thai vs tkd i think is murder. its just my opinion

Yeah I'm a GKR blue belt I haven't done it for awhile, but my wife was a sensai she keeps me intow.
9yrs with Go Kan Ryu Karate, I claim the right as the longest ever serving Blue Belt in Victoria :lol: :lol: ...in the end I just couldn't be fagged with it. I was in a few State tornaments in some of the open kumite divisions...but........I took up surburban footy instead :D I figure I'm more into team sports :p

Personally I'd go with something a little less "structured" than some of the karate styles. Muay Thai always took my interest, but I never ventured there. Good luck, there are just bucketloads of styles out there ;)

anyone do kendo?

I have kendo sticks at my joint.. and i got a fair swing! thats about as far as it goes..

Thanks for the input (and PM's) I don't have any real reason for wanting to learn one. I just feel like I would like to.
Just not sure what one or if I should learn a few.

a few definately if you can find the time. Try them for a few months and see which ones you like the best. i personally preferred to go at least twice a week. although now time and finances wouldnt allow me to do that (because i need my time to relax and my money for junk i dont really need... no motivation) you have inspired me to see whats in my local area again though, so if nothing else you have made me think about deciding whether to look into if i want to start something if i like it :p
anyone know of any kickboxing places in the SE suburbs? near Glen Waverley?

I did boxing for a while when I was younger and now I'm doing karate. I love it.
I would like to try mauy thai but nobody does it where I live.
Where are you in Nth Qld cause I know a few places you could try depending on where you live.

The style also depends on the instructor, I am 3rd Dan in Taekwondo, have competed internationally, including the world cup, however that was the sport of Taekwondo, then there is a whole other side to it, a good instructor will teach grappling, pressure points, use of weapons. Most of my instructors had black belts in other martial arts. I have recently looked into Aikido for something different, I do not believe that any one style is perfect, they all have good points and bad, it depends on what you want out of it, what your instructor can give you and what motivates you! My old club actual ran self defense classes that invited instructors from other styles to give a good balance of techniques.

Have a look at this.

Marcelo vs. former UFC Heavyweight Champ, Andre Arlovski (Arlovski outweighs him by 70-80 lbs)

YouTube - Marcelo Garcia VS Andrei Arlovski pt2

Not a bad clip, there is some good clean technique displayed, however I have participated and can appreciate whats going on and know what I'm looking at, unfortunately for the average Joe watching it , it's just 2 blokes rolling around on the mat

Not a bad clip, there is some good clean technique displayed, however I have participated and can appreciate whats going on and know what I'm looking at, unfortunately for the average Joe watching it , it's just 2 blokes rolling around on the mat

Here are a few more you may appreciate.

[video=youtube;kocZHGQhw1U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kocZHGQhw1U&feature=related[/video]
[video=youtube;nuzwgv0sdLg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuzwgv0sdLg&feature=related[/video]

I've been doing Muay Thai for 3 yrs now and its brilliant. I Trained 4-5 times a week at riddlers in perth with some world Champions, (Eugeene 'boom boom') ekelboom and Caley lewis, Chad Walker , Tiger White and look Aram. Look up Riddlers Muay thai. I just stopped training due to work. You trainer will have fought and studied this sport for many years and if you give him respect and effort he will give you the best training he can. Its not all forward fighting tho. The defence is just as interesting and challenging to master. These guys are friends and tell me they are always learning as every fighter is differant. Oh and only idiots kick trees so i wouldn't be doing it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back