Mary River Turtle

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at those pics, they are too beautiful to be destroyed, My neighbour wouldn't hand them in if she thought that would happen.
She doesn't want any money for them, all she wants is for them to go to a loving home, someone who can care for them. They have wonderful personalities and are hand feed, just beautiful.

Hi Bek,
They are Krefft's turtles which are the commonest species of short-necked turtle in Qld. If they can be handed in to Currumbin sanctuary, they will be vet checked and I can either take them or pass them onto another experienced keeper if you like. They will either live a long happy existence in a dam with other krefft's at my place if you wish, or I could place them with another experienced keeper. Rest assured, they will not be destroyed if they are handed in to Currumbin sanctuary. The EPA do not have the facilities to keep or have them vet checked!

Kind regards,

Craig & Gabrielle Latta
[email protected]

whats craig going to do with them? they are off licence, craig would just hand them into the epa being such a common species.

Thanks for answering for me hornet, but that's NOT what I would do!

Hi Bek,
They are Krefft's turtles which are the commonest species of short-necked turtle in Qld. If they can be handed in to Currumbin sanctuary, they will be vet checked and I can either take them or pass them onto another experienced keeper if you like. They will either live a long happy existence in a dam with other krefft's at my place if you wish, or I could place them with another experienced keeper. Rest assured, they will not be destroyed if they are handed in to Currumbin sanctuary. The EPA do not have the facilities to keep or have them vet checked!

Kind regards,

Craig & Gabrielle Latta
[email protected]

what about the epa branch in brissie that was giving away the rescued turtles that time, i thought they may do something like that. being a common species i wouldnt think they would be allowed to be put on someones permit without going through the epa anyway.

what about the epa branch in brissie that was giving away the rescued turtles that time, i thought they may do something like that. being a common species i wouldnt think they would be allowed to be put on someones permit without going through the epa anyway.

No sorry Hornet, that's wrong. People like ourselves who are collaborating partners of the EPA and have worked alongside the EPA are trusted to take, quarantine and pick up turtles for them. BTW, it wasn't the EPA that was giving away rescued turtles that time it was Currumbin Sanctuary. The EPA wouldn't be able to give away rescued turtles, it would have to be an institution where they can be vet checked before going out. The EPA would leave themselves open to litigation if something went wrong and their turtles caught a disease from the rescued turtles.

what can sxc_celly do?

Take them in

shes a gun turtle keepr clearly permits are not in question here
as far as any organisation knows they dont exist

i dont see what putting them on permit is going to acheive, just put them in either craigs or sex-cellys setups, providing they are happy with their health of course

Take them in

shes a gun turtle keepr clearly permits are not in question here
as far as any organisation knows they dont exist

i dont see what putting them on permit is going to acheive, just put them in either craigs or sex-cellys setups, providing they are happy with their health of course
Mmmm which to choose :rolleyes:

Thanks Idheav for mentioning me, much appreciated. Best not go to the EPA.

Hi there Bek74. I'd be more than happy to take them. Ive got a large 6ft tank still set up for turtles with UV lights and all, that housed many baby turtles but has nothing in it now, so they'd have a home already ready for them. We are also in the process of building a very large turtle pond to house my other turtles in a year or so once theyve outgrown their tank, so these 2 would be eventually housed in the pond. They are Emydura species, a more common species. They are shortnecks, probably Brisbane River of Kreffts. I own and have had alot of experience with other turtles myself, so I have the knowledge and understanding to look after them properly. I'm also in Brisbane, so I'm local. Let me know what your neighbour thinks and get back to me. :)

Last edited:
Thanks Idheav for mentioning me, much appreciated. Best not go to the EPA.

Hi there Bek74. I'd be more than happy to take them. Ive got a large 6ft tank still set up for turtles with UV lights and all, that housed many baby turtles but has nothing in it now, so they'd have a home already ready for them. We are also in the process of building a very large turtle pond for my other yearling turtles when they outgrow their tank, so they would be eventually housed in the pond. They are Emydura species, a more common species. They are shortnecks, probably Brisbane River of Kreffts. I own and have had alot of experience with other turtles myself, so I have the knowledge and understanding to look after them properly. I'm also in Brisbane, so I'm local. Let me know what your neighbour thinks and get back to me. :)

Thankyou VERY VERY much. I will wait and hear back from Craig, I believe he is contacting my neighbour this evening, I will keep you posted.
I am so happy that both of you have expressed such interest and are willing to give these two beautiful babies a loving home.
Again, I will keep you posted and let you know what is happening.
Thankyou
Bek

the thing that i was thinking about, if it legal for a licenced keeper to have them off licence? as far as i'm aware its not.

the thing that i was thinking about, if it legal for a licenced keeper to have them off licence? as far as i'm aware its not.

That's why I will be doing it legally and call the EPA to get permission as always!
I wouldn't recommend breaking the law and taking turtles that weren't on licence as the person could risk losing their entire collection!

yea, i know you have a bit to do with the epa so would be no probs for you but suggesting that sxc_celly take them, she cant legally keep them.

yea, i know you have a bit to do with the epa so would be no probs for you but suggesting that sxc_celly take them, she cant legally keep them.

That's right Hornet, and I'm sure she doesn't want to break the law and have her collection seized.

Your spot on there Craig! I would be calling the EPA for permission aswell, without a doubt. Not just the risk of my collection being taken, but to do the right thing by the turtles and by law. Let me know how it goes Craig!

Your spot on there Craig! I would be calling the EPA for permission aswell, without a doubt. Not just the risk of my collection being taken, but to do the right thing by the turtles and by law. Let me know how it goes Craig!

Have already spoken with the EPA and have received permission!

Rgds,
Craig

so you can just call up the epa and get rescued animals on your licence?

Great work Craig, good on you, glad they gave you permission and glad theyre going to a great home!

Hornet, I'm sure it's because he's owned and bred turtles for 36 years, has endangered turtle programme's going, and has been in Aust Reptile magazines regarding turtle articles. He knows his stuff, and I'm sure the EPA were pleased he rang and spoke to them first. Craig's the turtle authority lol.

Let us know how it goes and how they settle in Craig.

i understand that craig can do that as he is involved with the epa but i dont think any normal licence holder can do that, good work craig, let us know how they go.

Have already spoken with the EPA and have received permission!

Rgds,
Craig

That is wonderful news, will you be calling my neighbour this evening?, anytime between 6 - 8:30pm. I am so excited that these babies have possibly found there new forever home :D .
Thankyou Craig, will wait to here from you, please PM me as soon as you get off the phone from her:)
THANKYOU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back