Mdf/tubs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bunnings id suggest marine grade, normal mdf cost me like $12 a 10mm thick sheet so i would assume marine grade would b less then $30 a sheet

with out support on the wood for a tub rack most likely it will end up bowing depending on the size of it.

MDF is the worst stuff to build any enclosure out of as it soaks up moisture your much better using wight melamine board or ply

Lewy

go 16mm mdf mate 30 bucks a sheet form bunnings 2400x1200. cant go wrong. get it cut to size there and screw her together at home.

I can't believe that people are actually recommending MDF (micro density fiber) I'm a cabinet maker and I wouldent use this crap for anything especially not something that gets weed in and needs to be cleaned as its like a big kitchen sponge and sokes up all the moisture witch then becomes very unhygienic

It's also c****nagenic and is baned in every country except good old Australia Pleases people dont make any enclosure's out of this rubbish

Cheers Lewy

I can't believe people are bagging out MDF.

I have been using it for enclosures for years without any problem whatsoever.Some of the biggest breeders in the country also use it.

Yes its bad stuff (but so is melamine etc) when it comes to cutting etc but not if you get the supplier to do the cutting!

I can't believe that people are actually recommending MDF (micro density fiber) I'm a cabinet maker and I wouldent use this crap for anything especially not something that gets weed in and needs to be cleaned as its like a big kitchen sponge and sokes up all the moisture witch then becomes very unhygienic

It's also c****nagenic and is baned in every country except good old Australia Pleases people dont make any enclosure's out of this rubbish

Cheers Lewy

I think you missed the part when he said he was making a Rack, not units.

I can't believe people are bagging out MDF.

I have been using it for enclosures for years without any problem whatsoever.Some of the biggest breeders in the country also use it.

Yes its bad stuff (but so is melamine etc) when it comes to cutting etc but not if you get the supplier to do the cutting!

Yes but melamine dosent soke up all the moister and smell dose it

You can use either as long as it is HMR (high moisture resistant). I manage an office furniture company and when it is near anything that can get wet it has to be HMR. My prefernce is particleboard as MDF is dearer but I get it for cost anyway. woohoo

Yes but melamine dosent soke up all the moister and smell dose it

Mate properly sealed it soaks up no moisture and doesn't smell either.Melamine if not sealed on the corner will soak up moisture like a sponge and swell too.

I can tell you I have had zero problems with it over the years.It looks heaps better than white melamine and none of my snakes has contracted cancer yet.

Mate properly sealed it soaks up no moisture and doesn't smell either.Melamine if not sealed on the corner will soak up moisture like a sponge and swell too.

I can tell you I have had zero problems with it over the years.It looks heaps better than white melamine and none of my snakes has contracted cancer yet.

Thats fine mate but why dont you tell people that you seal it !!! I Have been a cabinet maker for years and I can tell you that MDF will soke moister right through the middle of it. But its pretty oveous if you seal it with a lacker or some kind of sealant then it wont soke in and I have seen plenty of people who dont do this and it is horrible

Mfreud is right in saying that if it HMR board you can't go wrong as this has a special glue in it that dosent attract moisture

Thats fine mate but why dont you tell people that you seal it !!! I Have been a cabinet maker for years and I can tell you that MDF will soke moister right through the middle of it. But its pretty oveous if you seal it with a lacker or some kind of sealant then it wont soke in and I have seen plenty of people who dont do this and it is horrible

Mfreud is right in saying that if it HMR board you can't go wrong as this has a special glue in it that dosent attract moisture

You asked and answered yourself but since you asked.
I didn't "tell people" as it is so obvious.Someone recommended using marine ply which would need to be sealed as well.

not sure what bunnings would charge. I pay bout $80 for a 3600mm x 1800mm sheet. but they are trade prices so probably cost more.

How much is hmr board thanks for info guys,Still trying where to find some more tub's as ive sien them at 1000mm long 500mm wide bye 250 mm tal

I used to pay $24 for a sheet of HMR 1220x2420 and I now there still around that price if you go to a cabinet maker they can help you out and there is a **** loads of them around brissy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back