me and brodie

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's hard to say with out knowing what it's made of.
To me it looks like you want a recessed light (don't bother imo), The best way is to get 2 light holders and just bring the cables through the side inside of the top. You can bring them through the top in the top cage of course.
Screw the light holders in with a screw thats is shorter than the thickness of the timber your using.
2 reflector globes (wattage would depend on the size of the cage) they are the best way to provide a hot spot.
If you choose to put in another light just do the same.

Will take some pics of some cages and put them in my folder tomorrow.

Yeap i should have said that. :oops: you tend to forget when you do it every day, it seems simple to me but can confuse some people

Ok thanx no-one I can kinda understand what you are saying, but let us know in this thread when ya have posted em I will be able to understand more. BTW thanks for all ya help noone and afric, keep suggestions coming please guys :D

Are you guys far a way from Picnic point?
I have in all my cages heating done from old electric blankets. I take wiring out and wind it on large ceramic tile or granite tile. it is great and free.

A great idea slateman, I found electric blankets for $10 at the op shop and thought now there has to be a way to utilize these. I was going to just lay out to heat my crickets. I had seen someone use them to warm all there python hatchlings.
I also though waterbed heaters might be good as these could possibly stand some water spillage.

I put a couple of pics in my folder there not my moniter cages but you can see how to heat stacked cages.

Be very careful using anything out of electric blankets they aren't always made very well.
That probably wouldn't be very suitable for moniter as they prefer to bask under lights, well thats what i've found anyway.

Thanx No-one. Yea i was thinking of heating by light as well..........

would it work if u used electiric blanket coils and put expandable foam around them to create like a heated cave????

Guys I feel I have to give a word of warning here. Most electrical appliances etc are made with the one use in mind and they are designed for that use alone, when you start modifying them and using them for purposes for which they were not designed you run a very real risk of fire or electrocution. Please please please be very careful what you modify etc as I would hate to see the site lose members :)

I second that again,
Like i said before alot of electric blankets (cheap ones are the worst) are poorly made, the amount of burned out blankets i've seen just from people putting something on the bed is alarming.
You should talk any modifications over with a qualified electrican before doing anything.
I got zapped a few months ago while working on a "dead" switchboard.
188 straight volts, it didn't tickle and i spent the arvo in hospital getting my heart monitered.
188 volts doesn't sound like much but low voltage is whats kills the most.

That's one thing a lot of people don't understand, it's not the voltage but the current that kills. It only takes 50mA to kill and that can occur at really low voltages. For a fixed wattage the lower the voltage the higher the current. Please be careful guys and gals.

High voltage stuff blasts you away but low voltage stuff hangs on to you especially if theres a good earth.

The way i am doing this is absolutely save. wires are inbeaded between granite tiles and no wire is exposed. No flamible substance is near to wire. I am doing this for ages and ewen my brewing drum is sitting on this device and warming up LOL.
I am not advising members who do not have skill to construct it to do so. You have to know what you doing little befor you try. But it is safe if safety mesures are taken. I would not reccomend foam to spray over the wires as fire can be started if wire get foulty. I am always using tiles and wire have to be sealed between tiles with no way to cause any trouble even in case of shortcut.
Mind you that wires are mprity good if they are used for humenoids :) i am sure that heat matt is dangerous as well if not used properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back