Meal Worm wifes tails

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sweet! And if you keep doing it he'll purr eventually. True!

Lol Lily I love that name too....FAAAALLLLCCCOOOORRRRRR!!!! :lol:. Top movie that one :D

And you're welcome lol ;)

reptililian said:
I love his name, Possum. Falcore. Great name for a Bearded dragon, or even a Luck dragon! Did you know that if you rub him gently under the chin then he'll purr like a cat for you?

PS thanks Zoe :wink:

Of course a true fan of that movie would know its spelt FALKOR :D

Me too, Zoe. Haven't seen it for so long now! Might be a job for this weekend.

Well, I'd better go and get ready for my date now. It's my 8th one this week. For some reason, chaps just find me irresistable! Wink & LOL ( my smiles have stopped working )

Possum, with your crikets.. carefully pull off the back legs . I use this with all my kingorum and primordius babies, as when they first hatch the spikes on the crikets legs can easily damage the monitors mouths.

You will find that the crikets have a LOT of trouble moving around after this exercise, and the lizards will catch them easily.

Cheers,
Brodie

Mealworms have less chiten than roaches but the chiten is arranged in rings which is harder for the stomach acids to break down. Mealworms are very slightly higher in nutritional value than crickets. I know this because ''Mags'' posted the info on a previous thread, they are ''proven'' to be very nutritious, as is any full bodied insect.
I have fed them to dragons for years without any issue yet, but as stated by others the freshly moulted or at least not old shelled ones are best.

Gosh reptilian whatever mojo you have, don't tell my girlfriend about it she'll realise she can do better than me!!! :shock: :shock: :wink:

we had a baby beardie who we feed meal worms and the meal worms ate through their stomach leaving my poor beardie dead. we will never feed them to any of our animals again.!

Gosh reptilian whatever mojo you have, don't tell my girlfriend about it she'll realise she can do better than me!!!
Munkee, as long as you've got herpies I'm sure you won't have a problem with her leaving you.

On a more serious note:
we had a baby beardie who we feed meal worms and the meal worms ate through their stomach leaving my poor beardie dead. we will never feed them to any of our animals again.!
I read somewhere (on this site?) that this can occur when a baby dragon is hungry, and gutses it's food down without chewing properly, thus leaving the mealworm alive still. You must have been so distressed to have it happen to you, Vinspa. I'm sorry you had to experience something so awful.

PS, you go, Zo!! Power to the sisterhood!

"But heres a fact for ya, crickets (lrg) can eat clean through flyscreen, no problem at all!".

Make sure you use flyscreen made of metal not fibreglass.

In respect to the nutritional quality of mealworms the following pros and cons should be recognised.
1. A Ca:p ration of 1:25 is about right for mealworms and this is not suitable for reptiles which require about 1: 1.2-1.5. This can be somewhat counteracted by gut loading or dusting.
2. The mealworm is moderately high in fat but so are moths and woodies. The difference lies in the ration of fat:digestible material in which the mealworm fails miserably.
3. The Ca:p can actually be made worse depending on what you grow your mealworms in. Grown in bran, they digest large quatities of phytic acid which bind to and render available calcium undigestible. Growing them in mill run or pollard will avoid this and improve their growth rates.
4. The chitinous exoskeleton is not particularly digestible but it depends on the size of the mealworm. I feed exclusively mealworms no greater than 1-1.5 cm total length (sold as mini mealies). These are able to be adequately digested by all herps and birds that I breed but as a standard they still only form about 15% of my reptiles diet.
5. Blockages do occur but generally only when a hungry herp eats a large meal of mealworms, particularly larger ones.

Hope this helps.

Dr Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back