Feeding an underweight Stimsons Python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maddison

Reaction score
Recently my ~12 year old Stimsons Python was gravid (although the eggs were infertile - she has not been in contact with any males for many years, if ever). See my previous post for context.

She has had 2 rats in the last 12 months. This is not for lack of me trying and I have put it down to her being gravid and shedding before/after the gravid period. In any event she is now super active and has taken to a rat recently, enjoyed her delicious meal and is huuungry for more. She has lost a lot of weight and has a very skinny tail end due to her lack of eating. I’m wondering how often should I be feeding her to get her back up to a healthy weight without overdoing it?

While she is active and showing signs of hunger, you can feed her weekly or so. It is normal for females to want to regain condition after their reproductive effort, particularly with the colder weather soon coming on. Once she regains her usual weight you can go back to your normal feeding cycle. She may even switch off feeding extra by herself.

Back