Mertens and Gudgeon

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveNT

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Just did a quick trip to the Daly River. There were V. mertensi at almost every creek crossing including this fella who was happy to pose for a photo.

View attachment 286557View attachment 286558

his home at Anniversary Creek

View attachment 286559

Heavy rain last night meant mist rising from the bush to join the clouds this morning. Very pretty.

View attachment 286560View attachment 286561

I dropped a cherubin pot in the Robin Falls Creek for 5 minutes to get some dinner for X (the file snake) and got 2 purple spotted gudgeons, 4 reticulated Glassfish and a black striped rainbow. (amazing how everyone loves a bit of roast chook).

View attachment 286562
First X checked out the gudgeons but they're a bit bigger than his usual goldfish. Then Prawn Boy decided to check out the gudgeons too. (no doubt thinking it was chicken).

View attachment 286563View attachment 286564View attachment 286565View attachment 286566View attachment 286567

So now I'm having a beer and watching who will eat who? (just checked- X has downed 2 glassfish already).

Last edited:
niice pics loving the file snake and that prawn did you get him from a petshop or did you catch it? i would love to get a few of them

niice pics loving the file snake and that prawn did you get him from a petshop or did you catch it? i would love to get a few of them

Prawn Boy is a cherubin I caught in a throw net a few months ago while collecting chequered rainbows for X. He is colouring up nicely and has doubled in size. He likes to pick at shedding spots on the file snake and shows no fear of him. (may not last much longer if he keeps it up :))

this may be a dumb question but do file snakes swallow their meal underwater or do they go to the surface to eat?

Underwater. In a 10th of a second they are half way down it's body.

That V. mertensi is a beauty, Steve.

Yea it is sooooo good to see them back. Still waiting for frillies, blue tongues, v panoptes and so on. The reports are of slow returns except bluies. And I've never seen fewer and smaller cane toads than this Wet. May the trends continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back