Mertens Water Monitor

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilK

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
So I am just teasing myself with animals that I would love to own one day but probably never will.. I have two ackies and find them absolutely amazing, and am very keen on other monitors. They are just so interesting! The list of ones I'd like is as long as my arm, but I just was thinking about Mertens.

Has anybody here got Mertens? What are they like as pets? Size? Cage/food requirements?

Any other recommendations for a bigger monitor (ie bigger than an ackie)?

Cheers
Phil

Mertens grow into big strong monitors. They need a fair amount of space and a good pond system. They are voracious feeders and you have to watch their weight, like most monitors. They're a tropical species and need to be quite hot. I kept them outdoors in Cairns and they bred like mad.

What about Mitchells Water Monitors, they're just amazing and are small enough to keep in a giant indoor setup. Spencers Goannas are really lovely too and have a nice temperament, again about the size of a Mertens, so better off outdoors, and again need heaps of heating.

If you want a dinosaur, get yourself a lacey. If you want a really smart, high-maintenance dinosaur, get a Perentie ;)

i totally agree a bit timid when young but when they they get bigger they are awwwwsome
feeding time is the best just like the crocs you see up north how they jump straight up and out the water with there front legs tucked in a great sight to see tongs are a must !!!!!!!!!
all & all if you get the opportunity to get 1 go for it you wont regret it
cheers Deano :D:D:D

mitchels might be better. Not as huge as mertins.
Or maybe kimberley rocks.

yer does anyone have any enclosure pics. im in the middle of starting a mertens setup in an old glass aquarium, big enough for a year or two but will have to upsize after that. i figured any water dragon setup would almost be the same for a mertens, that is apart from the basking spot.

Here's a couple of my little guy and his enclosure. Awesome creatures...

Attachments

• IMG_0751.jpg
    IMG_0751.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 471
  • IMG_0829.jpg
    IMG_0829.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 692
Not my animals...took this at wild expo. Awesome monitors, would love to get a pair when I have the space.

790mm Head to tail, full grown. they are quite uncommon and are only bred in 3 places in Australia(i only know 1 place) Reptile City, they have sold all of their up until 2010. they go for $1200 each...

karly, what are the dimensions of your enclosure?

Its about 2m X 0.8 X 1.8. The pool is in the bottom right corner you prob can't really see it in the pic, but its just a big tub like the ones you can get from Bunnings.

How about an emerald tree monitor? Hahaha I wish!

How big would an enclosure have to be to suit an adult?

Put up some photos mate...

I am open to any suggestions on the next monitor "up" from ackies. Something that won't tear my hand off would be good, and something I can keep in a large indoor enclosure happily. Preferably "placid".

this is my little guy, only a few weeks old at the moment. he is currently housed in a 3x2x1.5ft enclosure while i am finishing off his 6x2x2.5ft enclosure.

Wow so awesome... I really want a bigger monitor!

Back to my research.

i have kimberley mertens and the more common nt/qld type,i reckon for one of the larger species there awsome to keep,if u arent bothered bout cleaning the water often then keeping them is pretty easy,mine always poo in the water,so constantly changing it,you will need to heat there water to 26 to 28 degrees to,they spend there days in and out of the pond and usually sleep in it over night,as for a monitor next size up from ridgeys,tristis are cool,mitchels would be great to,grrrr vic dse for not adding them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back