Metal Halide Lighting/ turtle tank

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

freerider

Reaction score
Hi all
I am looking at setting up the mother of all turtle tanks, (aquarium 6ft x 2ft x 3ft) and have always loved the look that metal halide lights give. but being an aquarium virgin i know nothing about setting them up (yes, I know what they cost), is there any dramas with them being used with reptiles? How often do you need to replace the bulbs? what wattage would I need for a water depth of 2ft? Would I need more than one or one and maybe a fluro?
Any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks everybody

Dont bother with a turtle tank mate, they heat the water up very quickly! Which in turn mean more water changes, more temp control, more algae, more problems!

I have a 150watt pendulum spare at the moment, it can sit on to of the tank or from a ceiling, so if you are really interested I would not go more than 150 watts. it does create beautiful water and even reflects to the ceiling but they are a little more work.

To buy from pet shops you have obviously seen how ridiculously expensive they are, so if you are really interested I have mine for sale for $150, thats it.

I would still keep a flouro or two on the tank too. The depth wont be an issue at all with the halides at 150watt, they need replacing every 18 months.

Good luck though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back