Metal Halide Lighting.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Gillsy,

In case you need it, here's some graph paper that I use to help me to draw 3-dimension objects ...

Cheers,
Nic

Attachments

• A4 Graph Paper.pdf
    2.4 KB · Views: 10
lol might would of been hand drawn

A guy at work did that for me i about 5 mins, better than what i could do in about an hour.

Hey, I wasn't taking the p1ss!
I just found that using the 3D graph paper makes things are lot quicker and easier ...

I thought I'd post a basic overview of the importance of proper UV lighting and some resources people can check out to learn more. This information is for the benefit of everyone who comes across this thread - not simply directed at you Gillsy (but I know you started this thread to learn more so here's resources for you and everyone else interested)

Full spectrum means a whole lot more than simply a bit of Visible light and some UV - beside it's important to specify which UV spectrum are necessary. Sun-loving reptiles need UVA just as much as they need UVB but for different reasons, however no-one wants UVC which is extremely damaging to both humans and animals.

When discussing such a critical and involved subject such as this its easy for people to advise or recommend things simply out of opinion or advice they've received when no proper research has been done. This can lead to much misinformation and therefore detrimental effects on the herp.

I cannot emphasize enough how critical it is to provide an ideal lighting set-up for the physical and psychological health of sun-loving reptiles. Obviously, in the wild the sun fulfills all the reptile's heat and light requirements.

The following is from an article I wrote for Reptiles Australia Vol. 4 Issue 3
The full article including diagrams is available on my website - here

While no artificial light can replicate the full benefits of direct sunlight, there are ways to provide the best substitute possible using current technology to fulfil the reptile’s needs.

As Dr Henry Brames states: “Reptile Lighting is a process not a bulb.”
http://www.reptileuvinfo.com/docs/aspects-of-light-and-reptile-immunity.pdf

So we've determined that Ultraviolet Light is very important to your reptile’s health, in particular the spectra known as UVA and UVB. UVB readings taken in tropical and sub-tropical regions can reach up to 300-500uW/cm2 in direct sunlight and even up to 50-100uW/cm2 in shade.

UVA
UVA light influences a reptile’s behaviour and without it they will not be happy or healthy, likely resulting in a shorter life span and unnatural behaviour. UVA light is especially important for mediating reproductive behaviour.

UVB
UVB is also critical to many reptiles’ health. UVB light allows the reptile to synthesize Vitamin D3 in its skin, which in turn mediates the absorption of calcium and development of strong, healthy bones. Vitamin D3 is also needed for the health of muscles, including those of the gut and reproductive system, and the immune system. Without UVB, sun-worshipping reptiles of any age will develop Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD). However, UVB light will not prevent MBD without adequate levels of calcium. Vitamin D3 allows the reptile’s body to absorb the calcium needed for bone strength.

To learn more about UV lighting check out the following resources -

www.uvguide.co.uk

www.reptileuv.com

UVB Meter Owners Group

Reptile Lighting is a process not a bulb

MegaRay Lamp Review

Solarmeter 6.2

Metal Halide UVB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back