Metal Halide Lighting.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I should probably qualify a possible contradiction in the previous statement. Turtles will need less heat then the GTS, a combination of other heating options should be used in conjunction with with the compact fluro as it provides no heat.

Yeah understand, I think i'm either going to dump the turts or just rotate them outside to get full sunlight.

"the green tree snakes will be able to get under the bulb at a distance of about 4/5 cm to bask"

Allowing the GTS 4/5cm from the UVB light source - whatever the brand or type it may be is extremely dangerous!

Fluros should have a min. distance of 6 inches from the animal and Mercury Vapor is usually 12-15 inches depending on the wattage, whether it's Self-Ballasted or Externally Ballasted etc. Bob Mac always puts a diagram label on the MegaRay box to show you exactly the amount of UVB at varying distances of that specific lamp along with the min. distance to the animal.

For the safety of your reptiles and avoid necessary changes later on I suggest researching both of these website in more details to learn the fundamentals of UV light and its application. I am friends with the owners of both of these sites - they were consultants on the lighting chapter of my book - they are wonderful people and will answer any questions you have should you want to contact them directly. I recommend forwarding a diagram of the enclosure and they will be able to recommend the best course of action.

Bob Mac - http://www.reptileuv.com/

Frances Baines - http://www.uvguide.co.uk/

Shannon that is my concern, if I raise the light any higher, the UV may not reach the turtles which utlimately would defeat the purpose of having it but more the the enclosure being overall about 7ft high I don't know if i'll be able to raise it any higher due to the roof.

Also wihtout sounding rude, do you mind not bolding or changing font colour, it's the equilivent of yelling and I do have these concerns in the first place hence the 'research'

I have an email already to megaray yesterday, i'm awaiting their reply.

Thanks

My apologies - I was a graphic designer for almost 10 years, force of habit - it was simply a matter of highlighting the important parts of my post so it doesn't blend all into a long boring paragraph and making it easier for people to take in. Such as relaying the question and providing the answer etc.

Also wihtout sounding rude, do you mind not bolding or changing font colour, it's the equilivent of yelling and I do have these concerns in the first place hence the 'research'

LOL cool,

Being of the internet age, makes anything ohter than normal typing sound like yelling hehe

I'll wait pateintly on the reply from megaray.

He is pretty busy and I know he's missed emails I've sent him - he also has a pretty serious spam filter so you may want to email again with 'IMPORTANT ADVICE REQUIRED in the subject line, he's told me to do that in the past.

Also check out this online group - UVB_Meter_Owners
Bob is a member and will often answer questions posted on the message board - it may be a more efficient way to contact him.

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/UVB_Meter_Owners/messages?xm=1&m=p&tidx=1

Cool, I'm doing a diagram of the enclosure now with proper measurements.

Looking at the UK Guide it looks like the T-Rex bulbs might be a bit more suited as they have a directional downward beam.

But i'll email and post the diagram on the website.

Hey Gillsy,

I had a feeling your "self-cleaning" tree snake enclosure was going to be completely a pond at the bottom. I decided against going completely that way for mine, but a significant part of it will be.

Just a word of caution - when I was telling the person I purchased my CTS's from, my ideas for enclosure design, she advised me against keeping turtles with them. She said that the turtles will attack the tree snakes' tails.

Having never kept turtles, I don't know if this is an exaggeration or not, but it's made me do a rethink. Perhaps a turtle keeper can confirm or deny ...

Cheers,
Nic

I have known people to keep short necks with gts, i would not keep long necks as they are slighly more aggressive.

But this will obviously come down to the personality of each turtle.

I currently have saw shells in with keelbacks.

GTSEnclosure.jpg

That's my enclosure

The problem with most of the mercury vapours is that they are quite good at their uv production at the recommended distance BUT at this distance they aren't much good as heat lamps. The temptation is to put them closer to achieve dual purpose but this then risks exposure to too much UV. It is better to use a mercury vapour and a heat lamp separately (and at appropriate distances for each lamp) but focussed on the same spot. Metal Halide are supposed to be better at "dual purpose lamps" but the heating data isn't yet available. Looking at the available data so far they will still need to be positioned at roughly 12 inches to achieve suitable UVB so they are not going to penetrate to water level anyway. If you have a choice you may be better with the Mega Ray but go with the externally ballasted unit for longer life. With the mega ray you will need to actually avoid having climbing branches too close as right up against the lamp the UVB will be way to high to be safe.

Problem with that GD is that the whole back is universal rock so they can climb everywhere, the water will be heated and a heat matt heating the turtle dock so really only need UV.

The heat from the MV will be for the GTS only with a ceramic heater at the other end for supplemental and night heating.

gillsy. Give up! Community set ups are always hassle. Keep your herps in species specific enclosures....Either that or get pignose turts.

I wont give up, I have this set up in my head for a while it's going to work It's just going to be some fiddlingto get it right.

Tell me something i can't do I will do it.

Pig noes are coming :)

Stubborness is so awkward. Surrender and be graceful.
Piggies would solve a lot though. Seen them in a set up with large tree frogs, and seen a set up with large tree frogs and GTS's. ...

Gillsy, I think a few of the others have hit the nail on the head..... If you want to provide optimum conditions for all parties in a communal enclosure, you may have to alter your choices in animals. Being in the trades, I have a few ideas to combat your problems, but finding the materials to fit the necessary constraints would be a problem, and difficult to explain here, in text.

This is primarily a GTS enclosure so if I can't get the uv going i'll just dump he turtles.

But next time we see each oter ihh, let me know what you think.

Dave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back