Mitchell's Hopping Mice breeding TOO much - how to tell their genders?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shellectra

Reaction score
Hey guys! I started out with 6 adult hopping mice a few months ago, I was told I had 2 males and 4 females. I was also told that they sometimes breed and that some people have more luck than others and that a good diet makes a difference. Well 4 days later I had one litter, another a few days later and a third a week after that! So I thought well those females must have been preggers before I took them. So now I have 6 or 7? juvies who are very cute and I thought hm maybe that's that. I was happy to keep those (big long 6ft tank). BUT now there's 2 new pinky litters combined in the nest (about 9!!) so I can't keep going on like this, I need to get rid of males ASAP!

Only problem is they don't have obvious male 'bits' like rats do.. so I don't know which are the males :( Does anyone know how to tell the difference???

Shelle

Without knowing anything about them, if there is no obvious difference you could try removing the once who have obviously given birth, keep these and you will just have females. You could also try the Australian Marsupial forum.

Hey naledge I am in Melbourne so a bit far from you! I would love to sell some though! Sorry I forgot to put my location up when I signed up

The little gremlins -
26441_432547598205_532948205_5620539_3253766_n.jpg

One of the juvies -
26441_432547438205_532948205_5620534_3019293_n.jpg

shellectra send me a Pm with your details , i live in melb and may very well take a few off your hands

How sure are you they are Mitchells? they dont look like any pure mitchells I have ever seen.

What do you think they are? I am no marsupial expert but they would either be Mitchells or Spinifex hopping mice.... the latter i thought were not commonly kept in captivity?

If you want to give some away ill have some lol

Spinifex are the most common kept (i had close to 200 in SA), but I dont believe they can be kept in Vic, so many people keep Spinifex under the name of Mitchells.

same issue, also in melb!

I have taken in some Mitchell's Hopping mice that are now breeding happily and therefore also need to take action - split males/females and find a good home for one sex.
I think the males are the smaller, but also if you compare two, males have a greater anus to urethra distance. Haven't tried this yet, but is lovely job for today!
Let me know if anyone is interested in Hopping Mice free to good (wildlife licenced - a simple matter) home.

Also, mine look the same and are said to be Mitchell's (I got them from DSE, so they identified them) - i think the flash on the camera makes their coat look particularly speckled compared with natural light.

PS my phone numbers if you're interested in taking some in - 0422 549 287 or 03 9560 2234, I'm in Melb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back