Monitor enclosure advice please.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenogenesis

Reaction score
Just trying to find some info on husbandry of monitors, lace monitors to be precise, i've found it hard to find info about enclosure sizes...

The enclosure should be twice the lenght of the animal, adding branches effectivley increases the floor space, you havnt said if they are adult animals or juvies this would make a differance.

altho i can see the advantages of outside, not needing basking lamps and whatnot, but how would it work for heating? would you have a hotbox somewhere for him to go into?

you havnt said if they are adult animals or juvies this would make a differance.
None at this stage, but i'd like to build something that the monitor could grow into, i'd probably buy juvie tho.

you live in cairns you wont need heat lamps, it would be better for the animals to be outside, large monitors should be given a decent area to move about, I am not a big fan of enclosure being at just the right size, in my opion for two adult lace monitors an enclosure should be at least 4mx 4m

Kyle, even where you are they'll get enough sun most of the time. As long as you set it up so there's a basking spot available through most of the day.
You could put a 150W par38 lamp in there for use on really overcast days and whatnot.
Juvies should probably not be housed outside, but adults really should be wherever possible.

Hum, thanks AGAMIDAE and Craig, realistically it's still a few months away.
Also, what would be the appropriate height for the enclosure?

I live on the tablelands, not far from you.....even though it still gets cold; the day temps still get rather warm in winter.....it just means it takes them longer in the mornings to get active; mine don't start moving till around 10 at the moment. Lacies as far as monitors go; are rather hardy compared to most, hence their distribution right down the east coast....I agree with Agamidae; even though they can live in a smallish enclosure, IMO it's better to give them the best sized enclosure you can, according to what you can afford of course... call it quality of life...heres a pic to give you an idea. You don't have to go as large as that, however some room to move can only be beneficial.....They do fine indoors, however you live in the tropics; perfect climate for most outdoor herp setups.

Cheers Agamidae, however i wish i would have built it bigger...cash of course :roll: . I believe large monitors need the room to move...even then it's impossible to duplicate the home range wild ones would have.

That's awesome Indicus. Tell you what, you give me that one and I'll help you cuild a bigger one, we'll enclose the two trees in the immediate background ;).
You did a bloody good job with the wire, I always seem to get creases or bows in mine.

Hi Nath, yes theres two lacies on one side, and one on the other....i have a small door (bit like a dog door) in between that i can open to allow one into the others for breeding etc....
:lol: ...yeah Mag's if i win lotto tonight, your on :wink: ....Mate can you believe i measured the hight 100mm short of the width of a roll, and had to join a 100mm piece right round to make up the height :roll: idiot!!!

Yes Nath....i didnt put the time into them while they were young like i should have.....
Come breeding season; the door just saves distubing them....open up and see how they go.

nice mate I am atm building some more out door enclosures can you post some more up and where you would inprove on them...cheers Marc

The large rocks on the ground are a good idea, just wash the faeces away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back