MONITOR EXPERTS PLEASE (Cloudy/Milky eyes in monitors??)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shortstuff61

Reaction score
Hi all,

Firstly these are not my animals, they're Ridge Tailed Monitors at a pet store. I have tried to find the info I was after but virtually everything for milky or cloudy eyes brings up an endless wave of python shedding questions.

I rarely purchase animals from pet stores but this adult pair is VERY cheap, so cheap that I may consider rescuing them from their very ordinary living conditions. I have no problem with the way the pythons are housed there, or even the dragons but these guys are in a small GLASS enclosure with an energy saver UV globe and a very small red heat globe that wasn't even on (when questioned, the sole staff member in the store had to DISCOVER that the globe was broken).

The shop is open for 8 hours only and lights are off after close. The glass enclosure is kept only slightly hotter than the rest of the room, which would be low to mid twenties at the absolute highest. One of the monitors appears to be in good condition (although cold and inactive) but the other one has one eye quite obviously cloudy/milky.

Does anyone know what this is all about? Is it linked to a prolonged lack of heat or other housing issues? Is it something completely different? Or is it something pretty normal, that isn't of concern? Because if it is something that isn't a big deal or can be fixed quickly, I'm might pick them up and get them on the right track.

It also might be worth mentioning that the animal in question has only 2-3 toes remaining out of a possible 20, whereas the other has every toe intact. They are apparently a confirmed x-rayed pair. They show no obvious signs of stress relating to each other's company, but this could be misleading as they may behave differently when given correct heating.

Last edited:
All monitors require a hot basking point and the pet store owner should know this if you can rescue them and give them a good home Im no exspert I dont know abut the milky eyes you should have a chat to the owner that they are unhealty and hes neglecting his animals

hey shortstuff any chance you could PM me the location? I'm in Melbourne and researching ridgies for a purchase in a few months, I'd be very interested to see the conditions....

Well they ARE being kept in inadequate conditions. a monitor must have a basking spot of at least 50-60degrees therefore if they have been fed in those conditions there is a likely hood of them having an impacted digestive tract however since the keeper didn't know the light was broken so they probably have not been fed and chances are they have Just been neglected and you can probably fix those thing yourself.
sorry I don't know what the milky eyes mean.

Jesse - Done
mad4400 - Correct location

Yeah it's the eye condition I'm mainly concerned about. If some people have had experience with monitors and eye conditions and can assure me that the condition is easily reverseable I can go back and pick these guys up today.

I just called them and they are sold. What price were they at? I hope it was one of you good folk who got them to take them somewhere they will be cared for.

I would put money on the monitor being irreversibly blind in that eye. While I am no monitor expert I would not say this would hinder the monitor tooooo greatly and given the right conditions it should be able to live a reasonably good remainder of its life. Hope the new owner knows what they are doing.

Theres a range of conditions that could cause it including infection, age related change in the cornea, corneal lipidosis (fat in the cornea), scar tissue and a various other causes. You would need to take it to a vet to find out what the actual cause is.
Unfortunately there are not many clinical signs (or any that I can think of off the top of my head) that are only caused by one disease. Diarrhoea is probably a good example, the list of possible causes is rather extensive so if you say my animal has diarrhoea, noone can really pin point what is causing it without further information. They can only give you some potential causes, even with more information it can be quite difficult to identify a cause.

Hopefully the monitors go to a home where they are well looked after

I've heard that milky eyes can be caused by 'UV burn'. I've seen it happen to some young laceys and after a few days their eyes returned to normal. This is just a theory though, don't quote me on it.

Thanks guys, I have looked up conjunctivitis in reptiles but can't be certain about anything there and read a bit about over exposure to UV but if that was the case they must've had very different conditions previously... Very much appreciate the replies though.

They are sold to me, but I didn't pay in full, only left a deposit. The manager wasn't there so I got them to call him and I was told that I can take them to a vet and return them if they are not healthy, as long as they are taken to the vet within seven days of purchase. Although if they are not well I'd rather take them of their hands for a (re-negotiated) discounted price to cover the vet bills. I've been in there twice and both times I pointed out that they would not be happy in those conditions and both times I was greeted with "Oh, I'm not the lizard/reptile person."

Last edited:
Good luck with it mate, you did a noble thing for these monitors and I hope it has a good outcome. I think you would be wise to get as much knowledge about the husbandry conditions at the pet store before the vet visit as most diseases that occur in reptiles are due to a husbandry issue - this may give the vet a better starting point in diagnosing the problem.

Good advice, thanks for that. Apart from the obvious and what I've already stated, is there anything in particular you think I should be looking for at the pet store that could be useful with the vet's diagnosis? I will definately sneak a quick photo or two of the enclosure...

Good on you shortstuff. All the very best for you and the ackies.

Pay attention to the stuff that you do see, but also to the stuff that you dont. Is the enclosure pretty clean, or is it completely covered in faeces. Is it overcrowded (it sounds like theres only 2 monitors there) so that would depend on what size the enclosure is, are there any other obvious stressors (besides the constant coming and going of customers, are they able to hide if they want to), cleanliness of the water, diet and if they are receiving any supplements, have the pet shop staff noticed them fighting at all (in the time theyve had them). Those are the questions I would be thinking of anyway, also the hot and cold end temps wouldnt be a bad idea.

Hopefully I haven't missed anything but you get the idea anyway

Cheers. Got the basics as I've kept a few monitors of the years but I probably would've forgotten to ask if they've been giving them any supplements. Thanks again all, I will set up a vet check and post the results.

Hey all, I went in to pick them up but the store was apparently contacted by wildlife authorities and told that the animals are going to be picked up and checked out by their vet. At least I arrived to see them basking under a new light this time. Will update if I hear anything.

its nice to hear that they're taking such situations seriously for once

If you 'rescue' them, they will just see it as a good sale and get some more in.

I was going to say, that the best way to go about it, is to report the situation to the authorities.

arrgghh we should be like NSW:- no reptiles in pet shops.
There I said it.
I've been to most the shops with reptiles in the melbourne area and only a few met the standard of care and short term housing I would find acceptable.
Keep it to the breeders.
Would reduce the impulse buy dramatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back