monitor

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

taylor111

Reaction score
Hey all,
i am looking at getting a hatchling spencers monitor next season so i thought i will start to research now, but i am finding it pretty difficult to find anything about spencers on the net so i thought i would try and ask a fe questions here.

okay

1. would a 5x2m enclosure be big enough for 1 or 2 adult monitors
2. what is a good staple diet for spencers monitors
3. what substrate works best and how deep should it be
4. are mesh fronted enclosures okay for spencers
5. what sort of cage decorations are suitable for spencers monitors

cheers Taylor ...

1. yes, you may need to seperate them if keeping 2, so a removable divider may be a good idea.
2. A variety of vetebrates(whole or chopped up), insects, spiders, eggs, meat (with wombaroo or calium vitamin supllement) and they will also eat canned pet food although its pretty crappy food and they dont seem to like it as much as good food.
3. IMO soil with high clay content is the best, around half a meter seem ok but they would probably dig deeper if given the opportunity.
4. Mesh is fine, but you should put a smooth barrier around the sides about 400mm high to prevent them nose rubbing or running into the mesh at speed.
5. Being able to have a burrow or atleast a very secure hides is very imortant, branches, hollow logs, carefully placed rocks(make sure they cant crush the lizard), besser blocks, bricks, pieces of ply etc. are all useful inproviding hides and giving them places to forage.

sweet do you think you would be able to build an enclosure that is 2.5x1.5 but with 2 stories with a ramp connecting them, also do they need UV

5m x 2m is great.
They should be fine to keep together but they may fight. 2 males would not be good to keep together.
They eat nearly anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back