More Fossils

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveNT

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Looking at a current Fossil thread I decided to climb into the roof cavity (attic?) where I knew I had a couple of milk crates of fossils and stuff. Haven't looked at these for 8 years or so. Here's some contents from milk crate#1.

Mid Cretaceous timber from Darwin Harbour.

These were deposited not far off shore from a river mouth 120 million years ago (approx). Most have been drilled by Toledo worms which are still a nightmare for timber ship owners today.

View attachment 277897View attachment 277898View attachment 277899View attachment 277900
View attachment 277901View attachment 277902View attachment 277903View attachment 277904

Below are bits of the ancestor of Cypress Pine (Calytrix Expiculata) Like the current version it must have been poisonous to insects etc as the Toledo worms haven't touched it.
View attachment 277905View attachment 277906

All my good specimens go to the museum and there are several crates of this stuff waiting for a Phd student to analyse the flora of Darwin in the mid Cretaceous. No takers yet.

View attachment 277907View attachment 277908

Icthyosaur and Plesiosaur vertebrae (same depost)

View attachment 277909

Trilobite fossil from a tiny island off the north Arnhem Land coast. They had to write the geological age af the area up 500my because of these finds.

View attachment 277910View attachment 277911

A mud prawn fossil. This species is still common today in the Darwin mangroves and the fossils only date back to the last several thousand years. In the 70s a local enterpreneur sent a shipping container full of these to America as "FOSSIL SCORPIONS!" Apparently he did quite well.

View attachment 277912View attachment 277913

Hyoliths (tiny squid in an ice dream cone) from the Cambrian Douglas/ Daly river limestone.

View attachment 277914View attachment 277915

Found this one in the mid Cretaceous deposits in Darwin Harbour. I saw straight away it was different from the usual giant marine reptiles and it turns out it's from a shark.

View attachment 277920View attachment 277921

On the left is a naturally occuring bottle from a strange Permian formation at Pt. Keats. It's not a fossil but interesting anyway. On the right is a mystery tube from the Darwin deposits again.

View attachment 277922

Finally this is an "egg" from the Pine Creek goldfields. They occur randomly throughout the host rocks holding the gold and are a geological mystery as to their formation. Some have been found to contain significant amounts of gold (again the process is not understood). This one is not really heavy so I'm not busting it up for instant riches.

Anyway, I'll get crate 2 down sometime and see what I've forgotten in there. :)

those are some awesome fossils you have there, fossils are cooly cool,
thanks for sharing

I was under the impression "toledo" worms were a mangrove inhabitant Steve? Perhaps that's why no bore holes in the Cypress samples?? Please explain!

If that's whats inmilk crate one, I can't wait for milk crate two:).

I was under the impression "toledo" worms were a mangrove inhabitant Steve? Perhaps that's why no bore holes in the Cypress samples?? Please explain!

If that's whats inmilk crate one, I can't wait for milk crate two:).

Toledos are oceanic. Those timber deposits are marine. The timber has floated out of a river to the sea and sunk in an area offshore (deep and oxygen free I'm told). You can get Toledo worms in your timber in ocean central! I'm guessing the same was true 120 my ago
:)

So the cypress sample also floated out to sea? Am I being dumb (seriously, it wouldn't suprise me).

I find fossils fascinating. Thanks for showing some of your collection Steve, I'lll be looking impatiently for the next instalment. :D

So the cypress sample also floated out to sea? Am I being dumb (seriously, it wouldn't suprise me).

Yes IV all the timber floated out to sea and sank into silty mud. All timber except the cypress was attacked by T worms. 120 million years later cypress is still the only tree up here that borers, termites, etc wont touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back