Morphing Western Bearded Dragon

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Serpant_Lady

Reaction score
Well today I was in a pet shop (I know - boo hiss) and a beardie caught my eye. Over in the west we dont have the colour variety available to to east and this lil guy was almost totally white with thin dark lines making his pattern. I was instantly smitten and took him home (YAY for visa!!)

Looking at him in the bag I noticed some red fleckes concentrated around his eyes and other areas. Got him home and put him in a tank and a few hours later he was a soft grey with lavenderish pattern. Now light can change colour but this much??!!

Please tell me I am not going crazy - can it be to do with how warm they are?? Or am I just totally bonkers

Thanks for putting up with my nutso thoughts

Beardies can change colours extensively depending on their mood, how warm they are their general condition.

For example, I have a bright orange male central bearded, who gets blue bar's on his back .. and a black beard (only when he is head bobbing and breeding). He usually only shows these colours when he is in a good mood, or is trying to do the deed. Otherwise he is a normal browny colour with a few specs of orange. They also colour up a lot when they are feeding.

A second example, his sister (for the same clutch) is a citrus yellow with green and blue bar's on her back when happy, with a bit of orange (only sometimes). She only shows this colour when she is in a good mood, or is eating(puts her in a good mood).

They both usually go to their top colours when they are sleeping (most of the time).. and will go dark when basking and trying to warm up.

Here is the male when he is close to being fully coloured up.

Kane

Attachments

• reps6307 003.jpg
    reps6307 003.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Not one view... wow...
*SL runs and hides in the corner sobbing loudly and muttering 'nobody loves me'*

:lol: What do you expect, its 1am and you waited all of 14 minutes! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes they change colours depending on mood, temp, etc.
Good luck catching the nice colours on camera, mine go grey as soon as they see it usually :lol:

Yup, they can change colour drastically. Have you got pics of your new boy? I would absolutely kill for a white beardie!

Our boy Diego can go from a greyish-yellow sort of colour, to a beautiful creamy buttermilk colour all over (usually when he is sleeping or catching crix).

And this is our new girl. Pic 1 is the night we brought her home, and Pic 2 is just 24 hours later. Both photos were taken with the exact same camera, in the exact same lighting conditions and neither of them have been retouched or edited in any way. It's just amazing how much they can change!

Pic 1:

Pic 2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back