mountain dragon photo

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sirfur61

Not so new Member
Reaction score
sorry about my last attempt at showing our beatiful tasmanian mountain dragons -- i'm a newbie and was distracted by a rugrat --- here is the family --the largest are females -- they are a quiet harmless creature and wonderful to watch-- hope you enjoy:) ther are more photos in my gallery!

Attachments

• mountain dragon.jpg
    mountain dragon.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 2,351
Awsome, Is that the Mum?

they look the same as the mainland ones, how big is that one in the pic? she looks big.
Donk

mountain dragon answers

Hi
the largest is 80mm snout -vent length which is about as big as they get-- and 200mm snout to tail --they are supposedly in victoria according to some books but i've never heard of anyone seeing them anywhere but Tassie, would be interested to find out as there is very little info about them.
These are all unrelated ---not all Tasmanians are into inbreeding lol:lol:
we think one is about to lay eggs but no-one has bred them successfully in a tank as far as we know so we can only hope.
We have them on a heat mat with UV lighting - they love being sprayed and go mad for white ants and occaisional mealworms, crickets,grasshoppers and flies!
Hope you find this interesting
cheers

Attachments

• mega lizard.jpg
    mega lizard.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 1,386
They are definatly all up the SE coast i have seen many mounti dragons here in NSW.

I love the way the markings on there back change colour..its one of the things that seperates them from jackys.

Donk

Thanks for the info da_donkey---yes they are he same species-- a young girl sent me her phd study on tassie dragons - it's fascinating reading- the uni had theirs outside but where I live it gets very cold and we were concerned how they'd handle -10 c out of their natural habitat!! we have enough trouble when it's that cold--even the dunny freezes up !!
ours are Rankinia diemensis the only dragon in Tassie all our others are from the skink family. A lot of people think they are jackys but they aren't
cheers guys and thanks for the interest

Apparently we have two different mountain dragons .
there is a one type with a yellow mouth and a another with grey mouth inside. what colour is the inside of the mouth of the tazy species.

g'day bylo
our all have a red mouth - maybe thats the tasmanian distinction!!

Very interesting ,our snowy mountain one is the yellow mouth version and the blue mountain is a grey colour .I cannot find any information on them at all.
please inform me if you do
cheers bylo

thx guys
I will try to find out the difference for you bylo, but info is very limited - thats why i got in touch with the local uni i just went to their site and sent a please help email to the zoology dept! they passed it around until i got the right person - she very kindly sent me her honours papers (pdf) perhaps you could try your nearest uni too i think they liked the interest shown?
cheers

Apparently we have two different mountain dragons .
there is a one type with a yellow mouth and a another with grey mouth inside. what colour is the inside of the mouth of the tazy species.

i thought one was the mountain heath dragon and the other the jacky with those colours

your probably on the money jimjones, I have seen the yellow mouthed ones up here and have tried to find info on them and the name mountain dragon keeps coming up.
I have emailed a couple of zoos and that is what I have been told.
I am doing I trip in the mountains in a couple of weeks and I will try to get some picks and see what you guys think .

Nice dragons, ive seen some of these guys in the royal national park in sydney. They just sit there, picked one straight up of a rock didnt even flinch

don't know if it's right but i just read in a book that the tree dragon has the yellow mouth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back