mulch substrates

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skunk

Reaction score
hey guys, i have a question for u all.

i have decided to use mulch in my baby lacy tank & have bought some tea tree mulch as i was told that it is ok to use. however i find the fumes very strong & im now not sure if its good ? i have asked at the store if it contained fertilisers etc & was told "no".

any thoughts regarding this kind of mulch ?

also, what other type can i use as a subsitute ? (one that doesnt stink so bad.. lol) & where am i able to buy it?

thanks alot !

I think tea tree can be toxic to some herps ,i'm not sure of this though so dont quote me on this ,maybe some one else on this site might know a bit more about it.

If you want a better loking substrate than paper than go with sand it has alot more benefits than other substrates & can be purchased in several colours. It is non toxic (bake it before use to kill any nasties) & compact so mites & live food cant hide beneath it. It also dosn't smell & is easy to spot clean.

in my out door inclosuers i use wood chips from the local tree lopper and i have had no problems with it just make sure it has been sitting for a month or two to break down a bit this way its no different than whats on the ground in the bush.

thanks alot for the replys guys,

thanks megs ! that really has cleard up the mulch situation...even if it maybe ok to use, i tihnk i will not. the fumes are just too strong!

Go the Eucy Mulch as Dr Kirschner said mate. He seems to know a bit about them.

I use eucalyptus mulch in with my Laceys without any problems.

As Peter and Daniel said you can use eucalyptus mulch, or my preference is Fine Grade Pine Bark (or landscaping grade) from the garden section at Bunnings...it's cheap, safe and has a nice (but not too strong) smell so that the smell of poo won't haunt the rest of your days.

Simon Archibald

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back